Pipe bungs

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I need to put a fitting on the side of a 3" copper pipe so I can connect a small pipe (1/2" or 3/4") to it. Is there such a thing as a mechanical bung for doing this?
It can be any type of mechanical attachment, I just prefer not to have to solder it. There is no water pressure, it's all drain water. Any ideas? Thx.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Both of those types will do. Much obliged.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would assume that if this is inside the footprint of a house/building that saddle taps are not legal except for being located under a sink cabinet for use as a refrigerator supply. I installed one as a branch in a 3" water main in a commercial building and my inspector made me replace it with a soldered tee.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is the brand that I use. https://romac.com/saddles

And... the proper way to install a live tapped tee is to clean the area that your saddle will seal against. I buy a size larger saddle than the pipe I'm supplying as the hole you drill will be slightly smaller than the saddle pipe size. Install a full port ball valve on the saddle, you will then attach your hot tap drill to the ball valve. But first pressure test your saddle to ensure you have no leaks. A leak is bad here. Once you are satisfied you are leak free, you can set up the hot tap drill and make your penetration.. no going back once you get here! Drill through using the drain valve on the hot tap to purge drill shavings. Once you're all the way through, extract the drill from the valve and close it. Remove your hot tap and verify the chunk of pipe is still in your drill bit. Done

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks