Pinnacle Peak Trail at Mount Rainier National Park

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pinnacle Peak is situated in the middle of the Tatoosh Range at an elevation of 6562 feet, the second highest peak in the range.
Round trip, 2.5 miles
Elevation gain, 1050 feet

If you're looking for an easy hike in the park with good views, this is one to consider. It takes about two hours and has nice spots on top for viewing on both sides, toward Rainier and looking the other way, Mount Adams.

pinnacle_rainier.jpg

Looking at Mount Rainier from the saddle of Pinnacle Peak trail

pinnacle_taylor_3.jpg

Looking toward Mount Adams in Eastern Washington from the saddle of the Pinnacle Peak Trail
Taylor Love is making like a bird.

pinnacle_taylor_1.jpg

In the distance behind Taylor, are the glaciers of Mount Rainier. By his foot, you can see the visitor center located at Paradise.

pinnacle_peak.jpg

Pinnacle Peak, with the trail zig zaggin below the rock fall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pinnacle_peak_map.jpg

The trail map for Pinnacle Peak Trail, located near Reflection Lake

rainier_reflection.jpg

The trail head is at Reflection Lake

pinnacle_terry.jpg

Terry Love almost to the saddle.

pinnacle_taylor_2.jpg

Taylor finding rocks to look at.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous scenic views Terry. Last time I saw anything so beautiful was in Switzerland on Schilthorn Alps, the one where James Bond was fighting with that Jaws guy on the cable car to Piz Gloria at 9,700 feet up. I had lunch up there. what a view!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The snow starts hitting sometime in October here at that elevation. Mt Rainier sticks way up and catches the moist winds coming off the ocean, therefore getting more snowfall than most anywhere.
When I hiked to the top back in 2002, the winds were about 60 miles an hour. The ice is hundreds of feet thick in places. This hike is across the valley from Rainier and doesn't get near the amount of snow.
My avatar this week, was taken on Saturday. You can see the wild flowers behind me.
Paradise Skyline trail in the picture below.

rainier_terry_1622.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rainier_terry_p_1.jpg

I maybe need to do this hike again this Summer. It's a short 3 hour hike with great views.

Round trip, 2.5 miles
Elevation gain, 1050 feet

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks