Pinhole in pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian94

Reaction score
Lubricating the thread helps. Stainless steel threads have a nasty habit of galling if dry.

Thank you I will retry my connection and update.

Beautiful job! Just loosen all the way on the small adjustment in the pressure switch to get the minimum delta between on and off. If that Square D switch doesn't adjust like it should just let me know.

I did loosen it the whole way out to where the spring flopped around, which should have given it the minimum as stated. Then again I should have just bought a new pressure switch from you, since I'm reusing my old one. It's a home desperate everbilt switch. It did have some rust sediment in it that I tried to clean out. I'm assuming there could still be a little more stuck in there creating issues with the diaphragm. Probably better off just buying new switch?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm assuming there could still be a little more stuck in there creating issues with the diaphragm.
I had the same problem where sediment/mineral encrustation built up under the diaphragm causing the cut-in to be lowered. IMHO they are not worth the effort to rebuilt. Just replace it. Resist the urge to get one with the low cutoff option. They are just a nuisance.

Brian94

Reaction score
I had the same problem where sediment/mineral encrustation built up under the diaphragm causing the cut-in to be lowered. IMHO they are not worth the effort to rebuilt. Just replace it. Resist the urge to get one with the low cutoff option. They are just a nuisance.

Will do I'll pick up a ole reliable square d tomorrow, then dope my union nut, knock it all out at same time with tank drained. Painted my well casing at least.
20200519_141548.jpg
20200519_140545.jpg

Brian94

Reaction score
Update was able to reseal my union. I applied anti seize on union thread and gave it a good crank with pipe wrench, appears to be sealing good. While union was apart I was able to pull well seal off and check and re torque the band clamps on drop pipe.

Replaced my old pressure switch with square d. Had first start up it was 38-58 was able to adjust it up to 40-60. Amazing how lowes wants sells 40-60 for 5$ more than 20-40. When one can adjust it to whatever they desire.

Probably over observing, but this pressure tank seems pretty noisy hearing the bladder expand, then again I didn't pay much attention to the old big blue one.

Here's picture of my old switch. Quite a bit of rust, crazy to think that could be from my old galv nippe, coupling, and ell? Its interesting that the switches seem to have an integrated snubber on them.

20200520_120618.jpg

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
lowes wants sells 40-60 for 5$ more than 20-40. When one can adjust it to whatever they desire.
I suspect each factory preset pressure range, utilizes a different spring with a slightly different tension. That should ensure the pressure adjustment nut will be roughly centered within the intended adjustment range when it leaves the factory, with no springs being either over compressed or too slack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks