Pinhole in pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian94

Reaction score
Good evening everyone. Finished doing some lighting upgrades in my well area of basement. I noticed rust like runs down my tank, peeled the sticker back and discovered a nice little pinhole, obviously the tank will need replaced. I suppose my real question is what would cause this to occur? It appears to be a newer tank. I would also like to make the tee area a bit cleaner, any suggestion on what fittings/unions to use? 40/60 switch set at constant 50 with valvemans regulator.
20200503_213159.jpg
20200503_203218.jpg
20200503_203032.jpg
20200503_213009.jpg
20200503_213029.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Info found online seems to indicate all Trident Ultra freestanding pressure tanks are warranted for 5 years so you may wish to contact AO Smith Trident or one of their authorized dealers to determine the warranty coverage remaining.

There appears to be a groove in the finish in the area where the leak has occured but not necessarily around the entire tank. Perhaps the groove is residue from the label you removed or, whoever removed the tank from the shipping box used a knife blade to slice through the box but extended the blade too deep which cut through the finish which resulted in moisture penetration to the metal below.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If there were a hole, I think water would be coming out.

Brian94

Reaction score
Info found online seems to indicate all Trident Ultra freestanding pressure tanks are warranted for 5 years so you may wish to contact AO Smith Trident or one of their authorized dealers to determine the warranty coverage remaining.

There appears to be a groove in the finish in the area where the leak has occured but not necessarily around the entire tank.

I did use the form a couple minutes ago to inquire on the date of manufacture of tank in an email with the serial number. Although you know that will probably go with proof of purchase and original owner, so the other thing I will do is call the number for the company that has their sticker on the other side of the tank to see when they installed it. The residue you see is from the water eating away at the glue I peeled the sticker and it all wiped off clean to leave the pin hole remaining.

If there were a hole, I think water would be coming out.

Definitely not a squirter, but there is a little h2o and definitely according to my rust marks running down.

Side note do you guys prefer full image or thumbnails. It does show up a little strange on phone

20200503_223956.jpg
20200503_224032.jpg

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Other than the CSV, your tank Tee appears fairly standard and as organized as is likely possible.

For cleanup suggestions, you could perhaps install wire loom or solid /flexible plastic conduit over wiring which could then be fastened to the wall or re-routed parallel to the water line to provide less visual interference and better physical access to plumbing components.

The wood and plywoid tank support might be replaced with a concrete patio stone, brick or other materials less susceptible to water degradation, fungal growth and insect infestation.

Shorter tails on the gear band clamps on the well line would reduce the potential of becoming caught on them and would appear neater. Alternately, wrap them with black electrical tape to reduce tail protrusion and make the clamps less obvious.

Brian94

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200504-220404_Chrome.jpg
Since you already have a CSV you could go back with a 10 gallon size tank mounted up on the wall.

Looks good like that. The pvc is able to hold the weight of all that with no issues.

Got a callback from the company on the tank that installed it. It was manufactured in 2012, so no go for replacement. Of course I was attempted to have a bigger tank sold to me, lucky for me with CSV I can do any size. No need to go any bigger.

Last edited:

Brian94

Reaction score
The 10 gallon tank holds 2 gallons of water and gives a little more run time for the pump. Maybe a nickles worth of difference in your case. :)

Okay got it ordered this afternoon.

Also I'm going to put a more proper well seal on my well. ID is 6. The OD of poly pipe measures roughly 1 1/8", is it safe to assume its 1inch? Any places where everyone prefers to buy these stainless: clamps, barbs, coupler, thru nipple, tees and well seals from. What's difference in 304 to 314 stainless?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also I'm going to put a more proper well seal on my well. ID is 6. The OD of poly pipe measures roughly 1 1/8", is it safe to assume its 1inch?
I suggest that you measure more closely. 1 inch pex would be 1.125. 1 inch SIDR-19 (weak pipe) would be ~1.169 inch. 3/4 SIDR-7 would be ~1.060"

Get a digital calipers.

Is the pipe attached with one or more worm gear hose clamps?

Brian94

Reaction score
I suggest that you measure more closely. 1 inch pex would be 1.125. 1 inch SIDR-19 (weak pipe) would be ~1.169 inch. 3/4 SIDR-7 would be ~1.060"

Get a digital calipers.

Is the pipe attached with one or more worm gear hose clamps?

After further measurement it is 1 1/4" OD which puts it at 1"? Thanks for quick reply. 2 clamps.

Any suggestions on retailers for connections?

20200505_153859.jpg

Brian94

Reaction score
Well I got it all hooked up tonight, still have some playing around with the pressure switch. Can't seem to dial it in just right. I'm stuck at 36-62. The digital cycle stop one seems interesting...

I'm gonna paint my well casing within the next day or so. Any ideas on why my union has a dribble. I didn't apply any dope to ground joint, since I read there was no need to. Should I have put dope or anti seize on union threads for it to grab tighter?

I bought a 60 in pd t handle wrench and every band clamp leaked. Used the good ole hand torque guage and that took care of the leaks. I'll just have to pull my well seal to check those two bands.

Anyways here's my pictures. Let me know what you all think. I'm pleased with the outcome.
20200518_213417.jpg
20200518_213322.jpg
20200518_213303.jpg
20200518_184237.jpg
20200518_183816.jpg
20200518_183352.jpg
20200518_181725.jpg
20200518_181237.jpg
20200518_152756.jpg
20200518_151440.jpg

Brian94

Reaction score
I decided to change my water heater anode out after redoing my mains last week and noticed water was orange from stiring up the junk in tank. Let's just say the tank has seen better days after my glimpse through the top. Hopefully it pro longs the life a little bit. I couldn't imagine trying to take that rod out with a breaker bar you would spin the tank. Impact for the win! Then some teflon tape and then it will come back out like a normal person put it in.
20200518_110034.jpg
20200518_105759.jpg
20200518_111541.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Can't seem to dial it in just right. I'm stuck at 36-62.
I assume you want to reduce the delta. Most mechanical pressure switches have a minimum 20 delta. Tightening the small spring increases the delta. Loosen the nut on the small spring so that the spring is loose.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Any ideas on why my union has a dribble. I didn't apply any dope to ground joint, since I read there was no need to. Should I have put dope or anti seize on union threads for it to grab tighter?
Lubricating the thread helps. Stainless steel threads have a nasty habit of galling if dry.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Beautiful job! Just loosen all the way on the small adjustment in the pressure switch to get the minimum delta between on and off. If that Square D switch doesn't adjust like it should just let me know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks