Pin Hole Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hi, I have been in the current property for about 12 years. The freezer never had the ice making device turned on. There is small copper pipe that runs from the fridge to the sink where all of the kitchen piping is. There the shut off valve has the water turned off to this pipe. Just today I just noticed what looks like a pin hole leak. Any ideas on the cause? I guess the water sitting in the pipe all of these years caused it? Second is there a simple repair that can be done or I would need a plumber to come in. My pic was too big for the server. Looks like corrosion on the top of the pipe with green and black gunk.Thanks for the help and all of the help in the past.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Could be caused by acidic flux that was not removed, or too much bending causing a kink \weak spot.
Water not typically a causative contributor unless on poorly monitored well with acid water.
Fix: If you are asking, i usually say, if you have to ask, then there is your answer

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Shut the water, drain the line clean the copper and either solder over the hole with lead free solder or cut out the se\ction with the pin hole and solder in a slip coupling and use non self cleaning soft solder flux

If you know how to braze the clean the tubing and braze over the hole NO Flux is needed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks