Pilot won't light. It's a 40 gallon Rheem Performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogervan

Reaction score
I can't find a make and model on the bodbody
Sorry, I have to complete my post. I can't find the make and model of this tank on the outside. I know how to light the pilot, very simple. I've done it before. No special sensors that I can see. A while ago this tank dripped water from somewhere, not the external plumbing, and the pilot went out a few times then. I put a pan under the tank, and for some mysterious reason it stopped leaking after that. Is there something I can do in addition to the normal pilot starting routine to rescue this tank, or is it now officially dead?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Can the pilot be lit with a propane lighter while holding the pilot starter button down? Does it go out after the button is released? Be sure that the thermocouple is in the pilot flame. Do hold the pilot start button about ten seconds to heat the thermocouple. If all the above is true, either the thermocouple is bad or the gas valve.

The dripping could have been condensation if the inlet water temperature was low enough and the ambient humidity was high. When I had a home in Syracuse, NY, the cold water temperature was in the 40-50 degree range. With a humid basement, I could hear the condensation dripping on the hot burner turning into steam. The exhaust gas does contain moisture.

Last edited:

Rogervan

Reaction score
Can the pilot be lit with a propane lighter while holding the pilot starter button down? Does it go out after the button is released? Be sure that the thermocouple is in the pilot flame. Do hold the pilot start button about ten seconds to heat the thermocouple. If all the above is true, either the thermocouple is bad or the gas valve.

The dripping could have been condensation if the inlet water temperature was low enough and the ambient humidity was high. When I had a home in Syracuse, NY, the cold water temperature was in the 40-50 degree range. With a humid basement, I could hear the condensation dripping on the hot burner turning into steam. The exhaust gas does contain moistu

Rogervan

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. I'd like to post a picture, but I can't reduce the image size. The pilot and burner are blocked by a metal plate through which the gas and electric pass, in a way that I assume would make it hard to take the plate off. But I suppose it can be done and I'm handy enough to do it. I've successfully replaced thermocouples before, and unless you have other suggestions I suppose that's what I should do here. We just had what is for us a hard freeze which means it got down to about 25 F, and that was when the pilot failed. The water in the house wouldn't run for two mornings until the temperature got high enough to thaw the ice. Also the tank is in a separate shed that's about 18 in outside the exterior of my house. I bought this place that way, I didn't build the water heater shed like that. The tank doesn't seem to be leaking water at this time. Any further suggestions? I'll try the thermocouple.

Rogervan

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. I'd like to post a picture, but I can't reduce the image size. The pilot and burner are blocked by a metal plate through which the gas and electric pass, in a way that I assume would make it hard to take the plate off. But I suppose it can be done and I'm handy enough to do it. I've successfully replaced thermocouples before, and unless you have other suggestions I suppose that's what I should do here. We just had what is for us a hard freeze which means it got down to about 25 F, and that was when the pilot failed. The water in the house wouldn't run for two mornings until the temperature got high enough to thaw the ice. Also the tank is in a separate shed that's about 18 in outside the exterior of my house. I bought this place that way, I didn't build the water heater shed like that. The tank doesn't seem to be leaking water at this time. Any further suggestions? I'll try the thermocouple.
Here's a pic.:

1646086790186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogervan

Reaction score
Well the water heaters working again. I noticed water is sleeping seeping from under the tank. Maybe water is dripping onto the burners or the pilot, making the tank failed the function periodically. I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks