Pilot Light goes out intermittenly

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Spense

Reaction score
I already replaced the pilot assembly (thermocouple, pilot tube, etc. all one unit), but still have same problem. The pilot light goes out intermittently when the burner kicks-off after heating but does not happen all the time. The burner kick-on as appropriate when using hot water and then sometimes after the water reaches temperature and the burner kicks off the pilot will go out. Can relight easily as normal, will work for a day, and then will go out again. Could it be either the burner itself or the gas control valve? Something else?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forum.

A model number may help to get you a better answer.

Or I can pull a answers out of my hat. or ass.

Good luck on your project.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Has this been happening since it was installed, or is it a new situation? Has anything changed, related to the flue, or things nearby that may affect it (such as a draft)? Windows or doors open now that weren't when it was more reliable? Close the room off? Change any ductwork? Changed the furnace? Has anything new been added or changed in the gas supply like maybe a new stove or a new dryer or a line moved or added? Can you relate it to anything with gas usage anywhere?

Jeff Spense

Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forum.

A model number may help to get you a better answer.

Or I can pull a answers out of my hat. or ass.

Good luck on your project.

That would help: A.O. Smith ProMax, Model: GCV 40 100; > Serial #: M04A003699; produced in December 2004. Last night I watched as the burner was on for quite a while (two daughters taking long showers), and when the burner kicked-off there was a flash of orange flame and the pilot went out. I cycled the thermostat a few times, turning it up to kick on burner and then turnning it down to kick it off, and still got a flash of oragane but pilot didn't go out. Flash seemed to get less intense as I'm assuming because it cooled a bit in the chamber.

Jeff Spense

Reaction score
Has this been happening since it was installed, or is it a new situation? Has anything changed, related to the flue, or things nearby that may affect it (such as a draft)? Windows or doors open now that weren't when it was more reliable? Close the room off? Change any ductwork? Changed the furnace? Has anything new been added or changed in the gas supply like maybe a new stove or a new dryer or a line moved or added? Can you relate it to anything with gas usage anywhere?

Thanks for reply. No, nothing has changed regarding appliances, gas lines, gas usage, duct work, etc. Unit is drafting fine up the flue, actually have two identical water heaters installed at same time 10 years ago, one is working just fine, this one has developed this problem.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Is that the one that has the Diag LED on it ?

The Valve should have a model number on it.

Did you check the alignment of the thermopile ?

Good Luck.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the 2004 pro max was a problem water heater from the get go....

you probably have a linted up screen under the unit and that is what i would start with...
the water heater is probably not getting enough air throgh that honey-colmbe screen...
you can pull the whole burner asssembly out and poke a hole through that screen from the top
inside the chamber if you so wish to get it more air....

being a 2004 , it is already 10 years old and probably should be retired anyway...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks