Pilot Light continues to go out even after replacing everything

Users who are viewing this thread

smpross

Reaction score
Hello,
We have a 6 year old Gas Hot water heater. Bear with me, I am not handy when it comes to water heaters. It is an A.O.Smith Promax 40 Gallon.

The pilot has been going out several times per day. We had a plumber come in and he replaced the Pilot and burner unit as well as the thermostat. However, we continue to have problems where the pilot light is going out. They are telling us that we might need a new Hot Water Heater. They have literally been out 5 times to look at the issue (and have not charged us since). Does anyone know why the pilot light would continue to go out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Does anyone know why the pilot light would continue to go out?"

Can't tell without inspection, but could be:
- Poor air circulation around the burner chamber.
- Obstructed vents around the burner chamber.
- Gas valve.
- Pilot gas supply tube.
- Thermocoupler
And possibly others.

Have you contacted AO Smith (except, they won't respond if your WH is out of warranty)?

I would stop spending money on this WH, (parts or plumber charges) and get a new unit.
6 years is not an old WH, considering you admit to not knowing much about water heaters.
Maybe the new WH will be a better unit.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The smith has the exact same air intake as the Very crappy whirlpool water heater has.. This is because
they are basically owned by the same company now.

. Most likely its a lint
build up under the water heater which is almost impossible to clean properly.....
You can always try to loosen the front burner firewall and let more AIR into the burner chamber
and see it the problem resolves itself..

This is not the proper way to resolve the problem because you are turning the heater back into a pre-2003 design
but many times is works...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks