Picking right Kitchen Faucet for small sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Cal777

Reaction score
What I have right now:
- small Drop-In 3-Hole Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- American Standard 3-Hole pull-out Kitchen faucet mount using the left and right hole.
- because of how the Kitchen sink mount to the granite counter, there is sink clip right next to the middle sink hole. It didn't block the opening of the hole so the Faucet hoses can pass through, but may block any kind of mount on that hole. (More detail in attached photo)
- the Kitchen sink hole is standard 1-3/8". But because of sink metal railing in that area, the space near the back side (from the hole toward the wall) has only 3/16" space before it hit some metal rail. So if the mount is circle, the total diameter of the mount can only be 1-3/4" (1-3/8" + 3/16" + 3/16" = 1-3/4"). The front/left/right side can be longer but the back side is limited to 3/16" space or it will hit the sink metal rail mount. (More detail in attached photo)

The problem I am trying to solve is my old faucet now has very slow water flow. Replacing faucet cartridge and pull out handle didn't help. And also need one hole for Air Gap if possible when I replace my dishwasher (CA now require Air Gap). With the middle hole cannot really mount anything. I am thinking getting a one hole Kitchen Faucet and leave one hole for Air Gap.

What I need is to figure out which one-hole Pull-Out Faucet will be able to mount to my sink existing hole. I look at a lot of installation and spec documentation for one-hole pull-out faucet in Home Depot website and non of them really tell the diameter of the under sink mount. Any suggest of what one -hole pull-out faucet would work?

Or can I use some kind of cylinder Sleeve Bearing or similar shape metal (1-1/2" ID and 1-3/4" OD) to allow more space for the mount (allow mount extend beyond/on top of the metal rail of the sink)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5MSXX2/

Or pretty much I need to replace it with another 3-hole faucet with similar mount and replace the sink later if I need another hole for air gap?

I have attached couple photos of the area near the holes under sink. Currently the left and right holes have white color mount that is around 1-3/4" in diameter. As shown in the photo the white mount next to some metal rail of the sink preventing anything that is longer than 1-3/4" in diameter. Also attached a photo of the middle hole with faucet hoses (show the sink clip next to the hole).

102851a.jpg 102814a.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Unscrew the aerator. How is the flow then?

Is the flow equally bad when you choose hot, cold and warm, or is it significantly better for warm?

I don't want to interfere with your faucet shopping, but just suggest checking a few things before you start replacing.

Cal777

Reaction score
Unscrew the aerator. How is the flow then?

Is the flow equally bad when you choose hot, cold and warm, or is it significantly better for warm?

I don't want to interfere with your faucet shopping, but just suggest checking a few things before you start replacing.

I tried remove the whole pull-out handle. The water come out of the hose is still very slow. Replace the faucet cartridge didn't help.
The flow equally bad when choose hot, cold and warm water. The flow has been gradually slowing down over the years.
When I unplug the hot water line under the sink and have it point inside the water bucket. The water flow come out of the hot water line is good.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can move the clip on the sink.

Sometimes the hot side rubber washer on the shutoff comes apart in bits. Those bits can clog the insides of a faucet. It is sometimes a good idea to replace the shutoffs with 1/4 turns before installing a new faucet.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As suggested by Reach4, clean the aerator first.

The clip holding the sink can be moved, as Terry mentioned, by unscrewing the flat screw at the bottom of the clip.

Every time you replace a faucet, also replace the angle stop valve, connector and in some cases the wall nipple.

Cal777

Reaction score
As suggested by Reach4, clean the aerator first.

The clip holding the sink can be moved, as Terry mentioned, by unscrewing the flat screw at the bottom of the clip.

Every time you replace a faucet, also replace the angle stop valve, connector and in some cases the wall nipple.

Currently I plan to replace my old dishwasher also by end of the year. This is the first time I own a house and need to replace dishwasher and faucet. And changing angle stop valve, and in some cases the wall nipple may be beyond my ability especially if something go wrong, I will need to shutoff the valve for the whole house for some period of time.

Would it be better when I go to Lowe's (or other store) to buy dishwasher, I work with the store like Lowe's (and their contractor) to replace faucet, stop valve, etc also? Anyone has any idea how much the installation of dishwasher, replacement of faucet/install air gap/angel stop valve/etc would cost if I deal with store like Lowe's/Home Depot/etc in SF Bay Area, CA?
Or should I talk to a local plumber and work with the plumber before I buy new dishwasher/faucet. And install/replace, dishwasher (assuming the store will ship and remove old dishwasher)/air gap/faucet/angel stop valve, etc and how much likely would that cost?

I assume plumber (or store contractor) will be able to handle the limited amount of mounting space issue mentioned earlier and will have the material needed? Or I still need to come up with a solution and material for that?

Or would it be better to have replace faucet/angel stop valve/etc as separate project as replacing dishwasher?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks