Picket tile shower-corner question

Users who are viewing this thread

ATLtrumpet

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure I've worked myself into a corner (pun not intended) on my shower tile. I installed picket tile across the back wall, then planned on installing the two side walls. It wasn't until today that I realized I should have miter cut the corner tiles...am I screwed? Anyone have any workarounds or suggestions?

As you can see by the picture below, lining the top and bottom angles is the issue - my wife thinks it looks okay, but I'm not so sure..thanks in advance!

IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A mitre cut on a glazed tile often can leave chips on the edge, so that may not have been a great solution, either.

As you move forward, try to clean out the grout joints a bit better...it's easier prior to the mortar setting up. Keep in mind that industry guidelines call for changes of plane to have movement accommodation. That often means caulk in a shower. One solution, too late without some destruction, would have been to use an engineered expansion profile in the corner. Many of them also would hide the cuts and give a nice straight line to distract the eye away from other issues.

You'll get more tile related responses if you post at www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

ATLtrumpet

Reaction score
A mitre cut on a glazed tile often can leave chips on the edge, so that may not have been a great solution, either.

As you move forward, try to clean out the grout joints a bit better...it's easier prior to the mortar setting up. Keep in mind that industry guidelines call for changes of plane to have movement accommodation. That often means caulk in a shower. One solution, too late without some destruction, would have been to use an engineered expansion profile in the corner. Many of them also would hide the cuts and give a nice straight line to distract the eye away from other issues.

You'll get more tile related responses if you post at www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

thanks for the recommendation about Johnbridge, I’ll have to check that out

esgriffith1

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I have the exact same issue with the exact same tile. Unfortunately I can't find if and how it was resolved. Any suggestions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Changes of plane need movement accommodation, so that joint will be either caulked or an engineered joint. Grout colored caulk might hide any imperfections, but that shape tile can be a pain to get to wrap around a corner cleanly. Layout is critical which requires good prior planning and execution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks