PIC of DIY plumbing manifold system...thanks for advice on this forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianslink

Reaction score
I learned so many things here on this forum! Thank you Terry, Jadnashua, hj and everyone that gave direct advice that helped me complete a large DIY plumbing project with AWESOME RESULTS!

It's a long story as to why I DIY'ed the pex plumbing in my new home, but with all of the information and good advice on this forum I was successful!

I have a custom 3000 s.f. home with 6 people and high water demand. I can have the dishwasher running, clothes washer running, toilet flushing and two showers running all at the same time without any noticeable pressure losses or uneven hot water distribution!

Best advice I received (for my situation):
1) Buy an International Plumbing Code book...and open it.
2) Add up fixture units and make a realistic plan for your water needs.
3) Up-size pex lines when possible.
4) Use Propex brand pex with Bend supports and Propex fittings.
5) No fittings inside walls except where unavoidable (shower valves and drop ear elbow fittings...like on our pot filler.)
6) Use a manifold system instead of trunk and branch for even pressures and hot water distribution.
7) Use copper from tub valve up to shower head.
8) For a large master tub use dedicated 3/4" pex lines for supply. Make sure your tub faucet valve is high flow! My 60 gallon Toto tub fills in 6 minutes!
9) TOTO ADA toilets throughout the house. Throw away that "poop knife."
10) Use a RedyTemp demand pump for far fixtures instead of a 2nd hot water heater or dedicated recirculating line.
11) Insulate ALL hot water lines
12)Finish pex at walls with proper escutcheons for a finished look.
13) Use (2) Whole House filters in parallel for higher flow.

Bid Price Received $13,000 (this was for pvc drain system and fresh water Pex system (standard pex, not Propex. No hot water heater or fixtures.)

Actual price: I hired a plumber to do all of the pvc drain system for $2200 and then I DIY'ed the fresh water Pex system for $1400 material costs (no fixtures included). Total cost for hired drain system + DIY pex supply system was $3600. I saved over $9,000.00.

Side Note: I meant to post this immediately after completing the project, but time slipped by! This plumbing project was completed in 2014 and has been working flawlessly for almost 4 years now without any adjustments or repairs!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 474
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 504
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice. Keep extra o-rings for the cartridge filters, and get silicone grease to lube the o-rings when you change elements. A 5.3 ounce tube of Molykote 111 would last a very long time. You did not put in bypasses around the filters, so a failed o-ring could have your system out of action.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
A local pump installer or a plumber would have extras lying around where they might just give you one or two. A local Napa store might have some on hand as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks