Phister, Removing old shower/bath trim kit (faucet?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi experts,

I've tried video channels to find a relevant content, but I had no luck. I am trying to replace an old model of bath tub trim kit (which wiggles a lot), but I don't know how. Please help me. The first obstacle is removing the big round cover (pictures attached) which does not have any screws on it. It did not come off when I pulled it with a moderate strength. Should I pull it hard or are there any other things that I need to do beforehand?

KakaoTalk_20200708_195147501.jpg

KakaoTalk_20200708_195133940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
See if the metal sleeve in the middle will unscrew. It might be sticky, so a strap wrench might be needed if you can't do it by hand.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much !! It turned and unscrewed, and I took it off !! Would you mind telling me what's next? And, another question is that the diameter of the sleeve is about 1.5 inch but a replacement I bought or some other models available in stores are all about 1.25 inch. Should I change the sleeve as well?

KakaoTalk_20200708_204816074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for the picture! I will study. Just a quick question is,, Is it doable without opening the wall behind the tub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In general, you need new trim from the same brand for it to work. If it's a really popular one, one of the aftermarket companies MIGHT have made one to fit, but that's no guarantee.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

In fact, I tried to find out the manufacturer information before I bought a replacement, but I didn't see any name or logo on the trim, the handle, and shower head. These things were in place before I got this house, and the plumber who checked this one said it's an old model, so he couldn't replace it. Should I look at any hidden place?

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi Marlinman,

Thank you so much !!! That is exactly what I have. I really appreciate your help !! You wouldn't imagine how much headache I have had with this thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks