Phister, No Allen Key fits in Temperature Control Lever

Users who are viewing this thread

Vanilla_Donut

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wanting to replace my temperature control lever in the bathtub/shower because it was leaking.

The problem is, no Allen key fits in the metal lever. When turning the Allen key that seems to fit, there seems to be some ticking noise but it just doesn't move the screw. Refer to the image below.
Maybe there is too much gunk on it? Maybe I need to put a bag and soak the entire thing in a solution?

What are your thoughts in getting the lever off?

m5vDoh3.jpg

Vanilla_Donut

Reaction score
I am actually going to replace the entire trim. I guess I may have to end up drilling it to remove it. Thanks for the help!

Vanilla_Donut

Reaction score
I was able to clean the gunk and use some WD40 to get the Allen screw out. The issue now is that I don't think I can even replace the kit given the type of components. Refer to the images below.

pp-shower-remove.jpg

I might have to call a plumber as I think the parts here is an old model and doesn't seem to be available anywhere. The closes thing I was able to find is this https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pfister-tub-and-shower-rough-in-valve-with-stops/1000692331 but no guarantee it works. It would then mean I would only want to use the gray component in the Home Depot image to replace the black component.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The old valve can be updated with the gray cartridge. They used the OX8 body that is still in use today. The gray cartridge is # 974-042 and you can use any current pressure balance trim.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks