PEX water line at shutoff box for freezer/ice maker

Users who are viewing this thread

Glo-DIY-er

Reaction score
Hello all … looking for some help! Purchased new refrigerator. Moved out the old unit - with ice and water working. Shut off water valve at box in wall for water supply line. New refrigerator was delivered and installed along with water line reconnected. Opened valve and NO water. Thought It may be a bad valve. Shut off main water valve, cut PEX line at valve and removed valve. Turned water back on and still no water. The water line runs in wall up to the ceiling attic. Why would there be no water? We had new valves installed at kitchen island where sinks are, but those are in concrete floor and not associated with the refrigerator. Help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that with no supply line connected to the output of the valve, opening the valve does not release water?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes under sink is line that feeds icemaker with a bypass incase some sort of filtration is put under kitchen sink .
So look around under your sink must be shut off going to the deadline you cut, something was done under that sink

Glo-DIY-er

Reaction score
Are you saying that with no supply line connected to the output of the valve, opening the valve does not release water?
Hi Reach4 … No. We cut off valve from pex and zero water. The water supply line does not have water. Don’t know what is happening to that water line

Glo-DIY-er

Reaction score
Sometimes under sink is line that feeds icemaker with a bypass incase some sort of filtration is put under kitchen sink .
So look around under your sink must be shut off going to the deadline you cut, something was done under that sink
Hi Jeff,

We assumed it came from the island since that is the only area touched for plumbing. We have two sinks. I went under and took pictures for you. I turned the yellow handle valve on - see photo- and opened valve to 2nd sink and no water. Now we have to figure out why. 2nd sink is not installed yet. We may have installed lines wrong. Maybe we have to tap into the line at that yellow valve to supply water. If you have any suggestions, that would be great!

AFF3DB72-2D91-46EB-ACFB-071E5919699F.jpeg
52A5FED8-9C7E-453F-86E2-95B6B83AD5BC.jpeg

Glo-DIY-er

Reaction score
Jeff here is another photo. Looks like we need to tap into the blue pex that has the shutoff valve to supply water. No water feed to it.

38F3F2B3-A6D2-4912-A569-21EA2ACB5B58.jpeg

Glo-DIY-er

Reaction score
Hi ..No water to that line at shutoff valve. Figured out it was coming from the island. It was re-plumbed at island with new valves. Just opened valve there and no water. We didn’t attach water supply to that blue pex line with valve under island. That’s why no water to frig. Ugh!! Those are the misfortunes of a DIY job.

DBB0D902-CAC5-4C2B-9409-1936B5CD2D08.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hard to explain but I've seen and I've looped pipe together that goes to icemaker . you should know what you did under there

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your trap arm for the kitchen sink should come out at a 2% slope from the double fixture fitting and have no fittings changing that grade upward like what I see.
2% is 1/4" per foot.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hello all … looking for some help! Purchased new refrigerator. Moved out the old unit - with ice and water working. Shut off water valve at box in wall for water supply line. New refrigerator was delivered and installed along with water line reconnected. Opened valve and NO water. Thought It may be a bad valve. Shut off main water valve, cut PEX line at valve and removed valve. Turned water back on and still no water. The water line runs in wall up to the ceiling attic. Why would there be no water? We had new valves installed at kitchen island where sinks are, but those are in concrete floor and not associated with the refrigerator. Help!
I am not a pro.

Guess 1: Is there a second shutoff somewhere between your main and the shutoff servicing the fridge?

Guess 2: Is there a plug or shutoff you need to remove / open on the fridge.

If the fridge is not connected and you open the valve slightly, do you get water?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

Guess 1: Is there a second shutoff somewhere between your main and the shutoff servicing the fridge?

Guess 2: Is there a plug or shutoff you need to remove / open on the fridge.

If the fridge is not connected and you open the valve slightly, do you get water?

Not sure how I missed the other responses … I blame it on Friday.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Somebody reworked your copper and screwed up , probably the same guy that tried to add another sink and messed up the trap arm I was looking at the water and ignored the other work

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks