PEX to Copper stub leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparty007

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks in advance for some guidance. This is a new construction house built in 2014 with an unfinished basement (these pictures are of the PEX in the basement going to a first floor toilet).

I'm about to start finishing the basement (drywall ceiling) so I have been spending quite a bit of time cleaning up and examining everything that will be soon covered up with drywall.

I noticed what appeared to be streaks down this pipe and wondered if it is corrosion or an older leak - but I have not seen any water on the floor ever.

Any thoughts on what this could be or if I should have a plumber re-do that connection?

Thanks
-Ryan
IMG_20180802_081046.jpg
IMG_20180802_081057.jpg
IMG_20180802_081105.jpg
IMG_20180802_081120.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would clean that up and see if any water appears.
It's an interesting way to secure the pipe at the floor. I haven't seen that.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any thoughts on what this could be or if I should have a plumber re-do that connection?
Do you have a thermal expansion tank for your water heater on city water? The tank may have failed, or if you don't have one, you may need one. My suspicion is that the joint leaked at 150 psi. If you are on a well, that is unlikely.

Should you get the joint redone or re-crimped with a calibrated tool? I don't know.

Interesting pipe hanger.

Sparty007

Reaction score
Do you have a thermal expansion tank for your water heater on city water? The tank may have failed, or if you don't have one, you may need one. My suspicion is that the joint leaked at 150 psi. If you are on a well, that is unlikely.

Should you get the joint redone or re-crimped with a calibrated tool? I don't know.

Interesting pipe hanger.

No thermal expansion tank that I am aware of - just a normal water heater on city water.

Sparty007

Reaction score

Yeah - lots of new construction in my area and I imagine speed is sometimes valued over traditional methods. I have it secured well from below.

Reach4

Reaction score
No thermal expansion tank that I am aware of - just a normal water heater on city water.
A thermal expansion tank for city water users is normal today. Cities today put in a check valve as part of the water meter.

To prove the need to yourself, get a pressure gauge. Take a hot shower, and then stop using all water. As the water heater is still recovering, check the pressure gauge. Alternatively, get a pressure gauge with a lazy/tattletale hand. It records the peak. The extra hand can be vibration sensitive, however.

A garden hose thread pressure gauge will be under $20 -- often a lot under.

Sparty007

Reaction score
A thermal expansion tank for city water users is normal today. Cities today put in a check valve as part of the water meter.

To prove the need to yourself, get a pressure gauge. Take a hot shower, and then stop using all water. As the water heater is still recovering, check the pressure gauge. Alternatively, get a pressure gauge with a lazy/tattletale hand. It records the peak. The extra hand can be vibration sensitive, however.

A garden hose thread pressure gauge will be under $20 -- often a lot under.
Thanks - I definitely don't have a Thermal Expansion Tank (based upon some googling). I'll check that out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly done pex connection with an undamaged fitting should hold beyond the highest pressure your water heater's safety valve (the T&P valve) should allow (a max of 150psi). But nicks on the fitting or a crimp that is mispositioned or not tight enough, it could leak. If they soldered the transition fitting after making the pex connection, all bets are off.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

LOL, you have to give them an A for Originality. Or is that an "O"....

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks