PEX to copper drop elbow for hose bib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex_T

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for some help in regards to my garage hose bib I am completing.

Last year when we were having an extensive renovation done, I decided it would be a good time to install a hose bib into my garage given that our interior walls were down to studs.

I installed a copper to PEX drop elbow that I guess would be installed upside down (PEX leading down through the framed Wall into our crawlspace, copper leading out wall into garage).

I then had our plumber complete the PEX in the crawl space with a shut off valve and a drain for the line. The drop elbow is now closed within the wall that has now been spray foamed and drywalled, so I do not have access anymore.

For the last year I have left the stub out untouched in the garage and would now like to attach a hose bib. My soldering skills are not the greatest, so I am considering using a shark bite bib. My concern with this is the fact that they seem to spin on the copper once installed.

Is this something I should be concerned with? Does the rest of my setup seem acceptable?

Also, I am not sure if the plumber ever inspected for leaks, and I am a bit concerned now that the one copper-pex connection is buried in the wall. Are these connections usually pretty reliable?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Alex_T

Reaction score
Also I should add, I will be installing an anti-siphon vacuum breaker to the faucet. .

Reach4

Reaction score
I installed a copper to PEX drop elbow that I guess would be installed upside down (PEX leading down through the framed Wall into our crawlspace, copper leading out wall into garage).
A drop ear elbow usually has a FNPT thread. What comes out of the wall now? Is it 0.625 OD, or is it 0.84 OD?

Reach4

Reaction score
That is called a stub-out.

Make sure that you drain before freeze.

I was looking for a non-frostproof anti-siphon spigot with compression fitting, but I did not find one.

Alex_T

Reaction score
My mistake, plumbing is somewhat new to me!

I have the drain immediately after the shutoff valve, downhill from the hose bib inside our heated crawl space.

Any concern for having the spigot rotating due to using a shark bite?

Thanks for all the advice!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would be a bit concerned. Here is a compression type that is not anti-siphon:
arrowhead-brass-hose-bibbs-254cclf-64_145.jpg
In using compression, it takes a fair amount of torque. I think fear of crushing the copper is way overblown, unless your wrenches are very long.

Alex_T

Reaction score
Here is how it ended up. Secured hose to garage shelving. Think this should be okay?
IMG_20190329_125910008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190329_125022739.jpg
    IMG_20190329_125022739.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 159
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks