PEX Pressure Tester

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
I've completed a hot water base board project in a converted attic. I ran about 250' of PEX and 7 registers. Before connecting this loop to my furnace I thought it would be prudent to pressure test the connections.

I decided to make my own tester with a brass 3/4 tee with a 150psi meter out the top, a 3/4 PEX barb on one end and a ball valve/quick disconnect air barb out the other end. All of the connections and the necessary bushing have teflon tape.

I decided to bench test my tester - and it leaks like crazy. All of the leaks are at the 3/4 brass tee. Should I be using sealant for this fitting or a galvanized tee? I placed the tee in the vice to REALLY torque down on the fittings, so it's possible that I distorted it. So, what should i use for PEX Test V2.0?

I am encouraged that my ring on the PEX barb and the ring at the plug don't leak.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
There are various test gauge setups that are turn key. I've tried making my own (like) you only to find leaky gauges, leaky reducers trying to step down and adapt to my compressor.

The "premade" ones are much simpler and get the job done. There is on that page with a schrader valve right on it then you can just get a threaded pipe to pex adapter and you are all set. No leak points.

Test Gauges

http://www.amazon.com/Larsen-Supply-15Psi-Pressure-Gauges/dp/B000FH6GP6

http://www.accentshopping.com/category.asp?CAT_ID=850

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take another crack at it using sealer. If that doesn't work I'll go the premade route...it just goes against the grain to purchase something I can make myself. But if my contraption doesn't work, what good is it, right.

The first website you referenced is showing all *****. What is the missing word?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I think it is plumbing supply, but the site didn't let me post it. Thats why I added the other links.

HJ is right that many of those with schraders are for testing gas, but air is air. I'm not sure how much you plan or have to pressurize those pipes, Just be careful to not exceed the pressure rating of pex. Don't want your test to cause bigger leaks in the form of busted pipes!

If you do make your own, check the gauge for leaks, that is a common place for them.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
I purchased a new brass tee and used thread sealant this time around. The fixture has been holding pressure (80 psi) for the last hour. If it's still at 80psi in the morning, it's on to the system test.

Rmelo99, I plan on testing the system for 24 hours at 60 psi.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>. Should I be using sealant for this fitting or a galvanized tee?<<<

Of course, just about all threaded fittings need sealer. Go ahead and make you test rig, been doing that for years; must have 50 of them.

Like the other post said, be careful using air in pex, it wont take a high pressure

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks