PEX pipe under joist to be changed to through joist plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Teamplez

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
I am finishing my unfinished basement. Its been a slow go. SMH.

I have come upon a plumbing issue while finishing my wall framing (See 2854). The PEX is under the joists. I need to be able to put sheetrock on the joists. In order to do so, I am looking to run the PEX through the joists (middle third of 10" joist).

Current plan:
1. Shut off water
2. Cut the crimp ring or PEX 3/4 to the upstairs fixture
3. Plug both openings
4. Move pipe through the joist
5. Add new crimp ring
6. Remove plugs
7. reconnect to T-connector
8. Crimp the crimp rings
9. Check go no-go
10. Turn the water back on.
11. Done?

Do I need to run pressure tests like new construction?
Is there anything else I need to do?
Should I add any other preparatory steps, do the ones I listed above in a different order?
I will have a bucket and rags avail for water in the pipes.

Appreciate any advice on what might be a very simple question. I just want to make sure I am good before I actually have the ceiling closed up.

Thanks Much!!

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2854 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2854 Large.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2851 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2851 Large.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 114

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Do not drill holes closer than 2" from the top or bottom of the joist. Pressure test would not be needed. With water turned back on leave it open for a few days to be sure there are no drips. Take some pictures for any future reference.

As a suggestion, since you have to go around the 3" PVC pipe, it may be a bit tough to thread the PEX pipe around it. You could cap of the at the tees or use a coupling and make the turn with a tee by the support beam. Make the U turn back toward the where the pipe needs to to go. At the beam build out a small soffit for the pipes. If you have the space try to use bend support brackets for the PEX to make 90º turns. It can eliminate some couplings.

Teamplez

Reaction score
Do not drill holes closer than 2" from the top or bottom of the joist. Pressure test would not be needed. With water turned back on leave it open for a few days to be sure there are no drips. Take some pictures for any future reference.

As a suggestion, since you have to go around the 3" PVC pipe, it may be a bit tough to thread the PEX pipe around it. You could cap of the at the tees or use a coupling and make the turn with a tee by the support beam. Make the U turn back toward the where the pipe needs to to go. At the beam build out a small soffit for the pipes. If you have the space try to use bend support brackets for the PEX to make 90º turns. It can eliminate some couplings.

Thank you for reading and providing input. We measured to make sure we were in middle third of joist. Appreciate the feedback on the pressure test. Taking lots of pictures. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks