PEX or copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Hello, I have done endless research on these. Believe they are both fine systems so this isn't a question about that. I'm remodeling 2 bathrooms, both share a wet wall, Was all set to order the wirsbro setup, etc Then I was thinking after buying the tool, piping (100ft min) , etc it would probably 2 times the price to do in PEX over copper. I like the ease and flexibility of PEX, especially in tight wall but is it worth it for doing 2 new valves, and few showerheads. My solder experience is very limited but could practice before hand. Any thoughts? Should I invest in the worst PEX or just practice soldering and go that route. Or get crimp PEX? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You might consider looking for a used tool, using the name Uponor . Then sell the tool used when you are done. I have not done it, but I have seen others suggest it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make both a manual and a powered expander tool for Uphonor pex...the manual tool works, but your hand and forearm will get a workout! I prefer their system over crimp versions. Keep in mind that the ID of PEX is smaller than the equivalent sized copper, and you may want to upsize things, depending on how they are laid out. The tools for soldering copper are less expensive, and it does make it easier to anchor your valves since the pipe is rigid. The currently available water soluble fluxes are a pain for an occasional user. Of the choices, a tinning flux works best for me. WHen you see the powdered solder melt in the flux, immediately add more solid solder to finish the joint. It's easy to overheat the water soluble fluxes, and burn it, then you have to take it apart, clean everything, and start over. A real pain if it is the last joint and there's no way to pull it apart except to cut it and use a coupling.

It's nice to be able to just bend the pex where you need it without fittings, and the Uphonor type A PEX is the most flexible of the types available (with the smallest turning radius).

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Yes with Uphonor/Wirsbo Im looking at $500 for tool,piping,fittings,etc. Setup with Crimp ring at HD/Lowes is around $150. Copper little less. The PEX would be easier then trying to solder in tight spots . I have 2 new shower valves to do. Just wondering what makes most sense

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remember, you get what you pay for.

Personally if it says HomeDepot or Blowes on it, it's most likely junk and will give you poor results.

Buy a used Wirsbo tool and resell it when you're done.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just sent off an order for materials to do another repipe in type A PEX. You have to really think ahead and try to get all your stuff together, at least to get the job started. If you need something, and don't want to keep an inventory, you have to plan carefully, or maybe you don't got it. Three day lag time unless you pay next day freight. The customer did all the shopping on the first one, so this is my first solo flight purchasing materials for a job of this sort.

It's nice to work with, though. The Milwaukee rechargeable tool is a real brick, but performs nicely. My customer is buying the tool, though he don't know it yet, but we'll e-bay it when the job is done and end up paying 50 bucks or so rent for the use of it for the one job.

So, if you want the experience thing of doing the Uponor, and have the time to fool with it, go for it. I think it's pretty damn cool and for me, there's little or no worry about the integrity of the joints. With copper, you can do everything right and still have a connection failure, it seems.

FWIW; this job will also be done in phases, starting with the basement level. Phase I will be the basement/garage level, and include the main shut-off, PRV, water heater, and at least 2 spigots. I will connect to existing PB piping to the main floor and top floor to keep all the fixtures functioning until the next phase of the job happens.

Materials cost to get started is just shy of 1200 bucks including the expander tool. Other significant costs include 100' of blue 3/4 pipe, 100' 3/4" red pipe, 200' blue 1/2 pipe and 100' red 1/2 pipe. Other materials include fittings, adapters, pipe clips, rings, tees, elbows, etc. As usual for me, I'm over-buying to cover all contingencies. If you don't have too much, you ain't got enough.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Yea if I was re doing the house it would be wirsbo. And yes tool does seem pretty cool. But I only have 2 showers to do. Still debating it

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I already have what I need to install the copper, and it will provide support for the shower valves that PEX will not. The I.D. of PEX is smaller than the I.D. of copper, and the fittings inserted into the PEX are an additional restriction.

PEX can be done correctly, but until there is great benefit in using it on the jobs I have to do, I will stick with copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks