Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Manifold

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

phantom

Reaction score
First of all, this has got to be the most useful website I have seen in quite some time. exactly what i needed to read up and I sincerely appreciate all that everyone has contributed so far. Unfortunately, I am a novice at this so I will be "using" more than "providing".

I just got an estiamte for an "easy" galvanized repipe that was $5k :eek: . I'm quickly becoming a DIY kinda guy. Here is my dilema. I am going to replace my pipes with pex. I think that there are two varying methods, the "main" method and the "manifold" method

Main -- my handyman wants to layout the pex like he would copper, meaning large main hot & large main cold with 1/2 inch runners going out to the sink, etc..

Manifold -- I was thinking that we'd have a manifold with small 1/2 running from the manifold to each place water is needed.

Other than the obvious manifold advantage "less places to crimp means less places it could leak" are there other advantages or disadvantages to either?

Anyone know where I can get a manifold in Bellevue, WA?

Much Thanks in advance!,
-Phantom
:D

Last edited:

phantom

Reaction score
gosh i had no idea

He's not doing the plumbing. I am. We disagree on how I will do the layout. Are you telling me that I can't fix the plumbing on my own house?

what law am I breaking?

Racer814

Reaction score
no man...you can plumb your own house as long as you pull the permit and get it inspected

besides, running pex takes little plumbing skill anyway

as far as which method..depends upon water heater location to me....if it is centrally located I would just do a standard installation....if it is a long way from some of the fixtures I would at least do a hot side manifold ..... you will decrease the waiting time for hot water as you won't need to run any 3/4" pipe and you can take a more direct route to each fixture

...and if you're gonna do the hot you might as well do the cold

other than that I can see little advantage in a manifold

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO there are few to no advantages to branch and tee and next to no disadvantages to a manifold except a manifold takes up more space on a wall or ceiling. And looks don't impress me when I'm looking for function and practicality.

The main advantages are; quicker and easier to install, smaller ID, wastes less hot water getting cold to run hot, higher flow rates with less pressure loss, simple install from one location, many fewer fittings etc..

Disadvantages, you need a lot more tubing and the manifold takes up much more space.

Rope Tow

Reaction score
Modified Manifold Method

I'm a DIY who recently plumbed a new house - 2 and 1/2 baths - with Pex. After a bit of research, I opted for a modified manifold system. I have a distributed manifold where a 3/4" hot and cold lines goe to each bathroom, the kitchen, hose bibs, etc. It looks really simple, and each room (branch) has its own shut-offs at the manifold. The 3/4" goes to the base of each shower or sink for volume, and since its a straight shot from the manifold to the room the speed of Hot Water to each room is pretty good.

I passed inspection.

phantom

Reaction score
locations

Thanks for responding & voting. the bathroom is on the opposite side of the house from the water heater.
looks like manifold is winning.

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends what state you are in if you can plumb without a license. I would guess most let you, I know Mass. won't let you. Good luck.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Pex, but here in Prince William, VA. homeowners can pull permits to do everything....including gas, electric, plumbing, mechanical, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks