PEX Firestop question

Users who are viewing this thread

dcat

Reaction score
Hello,
I am running eight 1/2 inch PEX lines from a bath to a laundry closet. I would like to drop the PEX from the ceiling in two rows of 4, for a neat drop into my manifold. The manifold will be mounted on the wall (not in the wall) of the Laundry room (as are 2 others sourced from the floor). I keep getting mixed advice regarding the proper fire stopping. I was going to pre-drill a 2x6, use PVC bends to make the drops neat, and use approved caulk to seal the void between the PEX and PVC. There is 4 1/2" rigid insulation and 5/8" drywall the pex would drop through. Any comments or suggestions on a better idea would be awesome! Thank...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you mean "fireblocking" instead of "firestopping"? Firestopping refers to protecting a penetration to the same degree as the fire rated assembly being penetrated. Fireblocking will slow air from feeding a fire and resist the spread of flame and embers in a concealed space such as a wall. There's a lot more to both than just applying fire rated caulk or foam around a pipe or wire in a hole. Hilti offers details re the means and methods and your local or state building codes and/or fire Marshall's office can inform you of the requirements. What kind of conflicting advice have you been given and by who?

dcat

Reaction score
Do you mean "fireblocking" instead of "firestopping"? Firestopping refers to protecting a penetration to the same degree as the fire rated assembly being penetrated. Fireblocking will slow air from feeding a fire and resist the spread of flame and embers in a concealed space such as a wall. There's a lot more to both than just applying fire rated caulk or foam around a pipe or wire in a hole. Hilti offers details re the means and methods and your local or state building codes and/or fire Marshall's office can inform you of the requirements. What kind of conflicting advice have you been given and by who?

Hello Stan and thank you for responding!
I have been told that the pex must be 18" apart and I don't see how that could be possible, particularly when I know hot and cold pex lines are run like this frequently. I am looking at the requirements for building code because I want to make sure this is done properly the first time. I can call the township, I just thought there would be more people out here familiar with pex radiant heating applications who could point me in the right direction.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you haven't already, take a look at Uphonor's plumbing system installation manual for and also the details on HILT's website. There is reference to 18-inch spacing, 3 pipes per penetration, etc. but ultimately you will need to meet your local requirements for construction.

dcat

Reaction score
If you haven't already, take a look at Uphonor's plumbing system installation manual for and also the details on HILT's website. There is reference to 18-inch spacing, 3 pipes per penetration, etc. but ultimately you will need to meet your local requirements for construction.
Thank you Sam. My architect was also helpful since I am passing through ceiling drywall and not a sill plate where fire could travel from one contained space to another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks