PEX damage (repair/replace?)

Users who are viewing this thread

weagle

Reaction score
I opened a wall because of a drain problem and accidentally grazed some PEX that I did not know existed (the rest of my house is copper). It's been almost 24 hours and the line has remained under pressure and has not leaked, yet. Should I repair or replace this small section while the wall is open or just monitor for more time to be sure it will not fail? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 188

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a pro. I did the same thing a few years back on a heating line. I ended up cutting out a section where I had hit it with my drywall saw. I then bisected the piece at the point I hit. The damage was a lot deeper than it looked.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
That cut is also at a point on the pipe where it is bent on a radius which will add additional stress on that area of the pipe.
There will never be an easier time to address that than you have right now. If it does start to leak in the future what will you have to do to access it?
"When in doubt, cut it out!"

Reach4

Reaction score
If you put a coupling there, it will increase the diameter. So avoid having that press between the drywall and the steel pipe. That would be especially important if you used a SharkBite push-to-connect coupling, which is bigger than a crimp or clamp coupling.
brass-sharkbite-brass-fittings-u008lfa-64_145.jpg

That might mean that you would use two couplings, or, if there is a lot of slack, it could be that you would support the coupling off to the side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks