Pex crimpers

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
For Pex with the copper crimp rings. I had heard some people saying about using a racheting crimper is better and easier to use and better for tight places.

So thought I would try ones made by Mil3 http://www.pexcrimpusa.com/

Just got them in and tried out. I dont see them having a racheting action and really easier to use from my standard Zurn crimpers.
Did I get the wrong ones since they dont seem to rachet? Or do most like these the best?
Thanks.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Mil3 crimpers are not ratcheting; and I haven not seen any pex crimpers which were (that doesn't mean that ratcheting ones don't exist though). Your zurn crimpers are probably identical to the mil3 ones.

But if it makes you feel any better, the mil3 ones are top quality and are made in North America. I have a full set of mil3 crimpmakers (in addition to a full sized set of professional crimping tools), and I am pretty sure that they will probably last me until I retire.

Rayh78

Reaction score
It does look like I made a mistake and that the ratcheting ones must have been for the cinch strap type. Instead of what I use which is the copper crimp rings.
I have the full size crimpers in ½ and ¾ and have the bolt together block (block crimper) for any crimps in tight places.
These MIL3 crimpers with the angle head and shorter handles do look like they would work good when I need something in between the full size and the block crimper.
Just trying to decide if I really need them. Or since have not had a chance to really use them. If they would just be a good replacement for the full size ones.

When space is not an issues do most still prefer the full size or something like these Mil3 compact angle head crimpers?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You need the mil3 ones when working in between joists or other confined areas. But when space is not an issue, I prefer to use my full sized set. The crimp produced is the same, but the full sized crimpers require a lot less energy to produce the crimp....precious energy that I need to change channels on the tv or curl that beer bottle up to my mouth...

Rayh78

Reaction score
Tried them out and these sem to take 2 to 3 times the force to use compared to mu full size. Even had a friend try and he could not even get them closed. I thought maybe out of adjustment but does show OK with the go/nogo guage.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
I'm re-awakening this thread because today I bought a pair of the Zurn compact crimpers from a plumbing supply. I'm maybe not the strongest guy in the world but I'm pretty strong and while I could get the 3/4 crimpers to close properly when out in the open and with full leverage, I could not get them to close when overhead between ceiling joists. I'm 56 yrs old but honestly I'm stronger than 90% of the guys I know and many of them are in construction (have some muscle).
The go/no-go gauge seems to indicate they're adjusted properly and the "adjustment dial" is set on zero as it should be to start. I've oiled them and still can't use them overhead. Is this normal? Is there a trick to it I'm missing?
Box says Zurn Pex QCRT4CM 3/4 CTS medium crimping tool

Thanks,
John

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Toss out all those silly copper rings and buy Oetiker SS clamps. You can work in any space and crimp them with a pair of tile nippers when need be. They are cheap and I use 2 per fitting, NEVER had a leak in thousands of crimps, using the 'ratcheting' tool, or just by hand with a pair of mouldy end nippers. Don't need to fool with any go-no go gauge. you just do it!

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Toss out all those silly copper rings and buy Oetiker SS clamps. You can work in any space and crimp them with a pair of tile nippers when need be. They are cheap and I use 2 per fitting, NEVER had a leak in thousands of crimps, using the 'ratcheting' tool, or just by hand with a pair of mouldy end nippers. Don't need to fool with any go-no go gauge. you just do it!

I searched for opinions on the best pex system but there didn't seem to be any consensus. The local supply house sells mostly Durapex and crimp rings and tells me that's what all the pros around here use so I went with that. Maybe I should look into the clamp system at least for the tight spaces.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com

I like the SS Clamps too, but would never recommend using two clamps per connection. Manufacturer says one clamp is all that is needed. Why use two?

I use both clamps and crimp rings. I like Wirsbo better than both.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
The "factory" cinch rings are a socket which fits OVER the end of the PEX, so there is no way you can even attach TWO of them to a single connection.

These SS Cinch Clamps I was talking about. Pretty sure you could crimp two on one connection, just not sure why you would want to do that. May even hurt the PEX by pinching it too much. I would not recomend doing that. I'll give it a shot today in the garage and see if it is even possible.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/stainless-steel-clamps

Chefwong

Reaction score
Off topic or on.
While on the subject of this - which Pex system is the best.
I plan to invest in tooling and was looking at both this clamp system and the Wirsbo

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I have received various widths of SS clamps. Of late, they catch barely one ring on the fitting. Whats the point of the other 5 or six ribs on the fitting? What 2 clamps do is approximate wirsbo by grabbing ALL the ribs, without the hassle of that ridiculous expander and rushing to make a connection in some hole. I think the pex is very happy to be tight along all of the fitting depth.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
I didnt' mean to start (re-start really) an argument about crimp vs clamp vs expand....I was just having trouble with my new crimper. This morning I swung by the supply house with the crimper and some 3/4 with fittings. Sales guy confidently says, "Let me see that." and then I got to watch his face fall as he couldn't close the tool either. Turns out it was defective somehow. He pulled out another and it worked much more easily. I left with the new crimper and had no issues with it. Thank God! I thought maybe I was experiencing the beginnings of middle age! :D

Ballvalve

Reaction score
road, house 11-16-21 014.jpg
These SS Cinch Clamps I was talking about. Pretty sure you could crimp two on one connection, just not sure why you would want to do that. May even hurt the PEX by pinching it too much. I would not recomend doing that. I'll give it a shot today in the garage and see if it is even possible.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/stainless-steel-clamps

This is for sprinkler heads. 2 clamps just catch all the rings. Cheap insurance for a few dimes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks