PEX crimp over compression question

Users who are viewing this thread

Themp

Reaction score
I had to replace my PRV which was installed in a new PEX water line from the street. I only needed to make one 3/4 inch PEX crimp connection on one side of the PRV. I re-used the union side nut on the PRV. I purchased the Apollo crimp tool and copper rings from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-Multi-Head-PEX-Crimping-Tool/3572368

I did no testing of this tool and did the one 3/4 inch crimp and the No-Go tool is showing it was over compressed. What is the implication of an over compressed ring(the No-Go tool slid all the way over)? I have to decide to let it go or cut it out. No leak over 12 hours. The crimp ring is on a brass fitting 3/4 inch to the PRV. My problem is I have no slack left and will have to do more cutting to make the connection work. I am taking back the tool, as I think it should be calibrated correctly from the get go.

My final question is that the line was installed using plastic fittings so if I have to cut back to a fitting can I re-use the plastic fitting if I cut the ring off with a Dremel?

Thanks, Tom

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Is the PRV located somewhere that you can monitor/see it - and somewhere that if it leaks when your not around it won't cause a great deal of damage? If yes, I would leave it alone. But that's just me. I'm a DIYer, not a professional plumber.

Sort of off topic. Sorry, but I want to know.
Other than the special Uponor AquaPEX (which uses expansion tool/rings) can all the other PEX brands that use crimp rings use any other brand's fittings or crimp rings, or if you need to be careful to "match" the crimp ring brand to the PEX hose brand?
(Put another way, do the Lowes or HD PEX crimp rings and fittings work on all PEX brands or just the PEX brand tubing they sell)?

Last edited:

Themp

Reaction score
Is the PRV located somewhere that you can monitor/see it - and somewhere that if it leaks when your not around it won't cause a great deal of damage? If yes, I would leave it alone.

Yes, the PRV is in the crawl space and is right near a water heater TPV with a water sensor alarm.

Themp

Reaction score
Well, decided to try the cinch tool(Sharkbite) with the stainless steel rings and it is an easier tool to use and calibrate. Have a new tool in my toolbox now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks