PEX crimp fittings with ProPEX tubing and expansion rings

Users who are viewing this thread

frankjrizzo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm remodeling a bathroom in my Mom's mobile home in Lake Wales, Florida. I've replaced all of the gray polybutylene pipe with ProPEX (PEX-A). Unfortunately I'm short about 4 fittings and I want to begin sheetrocking this weekend. Ordering online will not get what I need here till Monday and the closest supplier I can find that stock ProPEX fittings is about 2 1/2 hours away in Port St. Lucie. On the other hand everyone including Lowes and Home Depot stock the fittings used with a crimping tool. So my first question is does anyone know of a supplier closer to Lake Wales that stocks Pro Pex fittings? If not what are your thoughts on using 3/4" plastic crimp type fittings with ProPEX tubing and expansion rings?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You can use stainless steel clamp fittings on regular PEX fittings with PEX-A. From what I have read, you are not supposed to use the expansion rings on those fittings not designed for the expansion rings.

The ProPEX fittings have a larger diameter that the expansion rings shrink down on.

https://www.ferguson.com/category?Ntt=propex®&searchKeyWord=propex®&_requestid=1674152 Did you call Fergison in Winter Haven or Lakeland?

The fittings you want are F1960 fittings I think. http://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/powerpex-systems/astm-f1960

http://www.siouxchief.com/connect/find/find-a-distributor may or may not have somebody with such fittings.

Last edited:

frankjrizzo

Reaction score
Hi Reach4, Thanks for the quick response. So the lesson to be learned here is one that I should already know from my real job in the IT world. Don't take the word of the first slacker you talk to. I actually went into Ferguson in Winter Haven and the kid behind the counter said they didn't stock ProPEX. I just assumed he knew what he was talking about since he works there. In retrospect I should have pressed him further as I would if I got lame or suspect answer from a tech at Comcast or some other technology vendor. My only excuse is that I'm slightly out of my element so I assumed he knew his business. I just called over there and as it turns out if I had asked for Uponor he would have known what I was talking about. Thank you for saving my schedule. I'm headed over to Fergison now to pick up the fittings I need!

Reach4

Reaction score
Call first! I expect different branches have different things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks