PEX and Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

OldFart

Reaction score
OK, here's the problem. I'm getting ready to replace an existing lo-boy hot water heater that is under my kitchen counter. I live in a very small house that was built ten years ago. The HW heater was installed by the builder. I have read here that code requires 18 inches of copper to a HW heater. It is currently connected with PEX! There is also very little room to even use a flex copper pipe here. The entire house is plumbed with PEX. The pipe to the heater comes out of the wall, and is only about twenty inches long. So how am I expected to connect this, and be up to code?

fittings2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe add a couple of brass elbows if the overhead space is to limited. It's not clear from your photo if there is more space above.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With an electric water heater it might be okay to run PEX to it. Not so with gas.
Take good measurements, as water heaters have changed in size since yours was installed.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks