PEX A valve and CPVC fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

GCC

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum - lots of good info on here. Redoing a bathroom. I have CPVC piping throughout the house, under the slab - everywhere. I'm going to use PEX A to move the valve to the opposite wall through the attic. (Tub to shower conversion) Didn't want to chance any fittings in the attic and the pipes are close enough to the attic entrance that one wrong bump might not fare well for CPVC up there. In reality, it probably would have been fine but PEX will also be easier to run and allow for no fittings overhead.

2 questions:

1. I can't seem to find any 1/2" Uponor CPVC to PEX A expansion fitting anywhere. Home Depot has one for Apollo pipe - would that be compatible with Uponor? Or is there a good way to convert CPVC to copper inside a wall and then solder on a PEX fitting? It would be easier to just go straight from CPVC to copper. I'd rather not use Sharkbites if I can avoid it. Are they the only option?

2. Going with Moen Expansion PEX valves. I assume those valves are design with all brands of PEX-A?

Thanks,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1. PEX-A fittings should be interchangeable.
2. Same as above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I can't seem to find any 1/2" Uponor CPVC to PEX A expansion fitting anywhere. Home Depot has one for Apollo pipe - would that be compatible with Uponor? Or is there a good way to convert CPVC to copper inside a wall and then solder on a PEX fitting? It would be easier to just go straight from CPVC to copper. I'd rather not use Sharkbites if I can avoid it. Are they the only option?

https://www.siouxchief.com/products.../astm-f1960/adapters-connectors/straight/cpvc

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...-1-2-Expansion-PEX-Straight-Adapter-Lead-Free

GCC

Reaction score
Well thanks - I typed in CPVC to Expansion PEX every way imaginable and couldn't find it. But clearly, there it is. Maybe I was being too specific thinking it needed to be Uponor to match the pipe?

I also need to plug a port on the transfer valve. I'd prefer a brass plug but they only have the plastic ones. Will that be ok for a permanent plug? I assume I attach a piece of tube to the valve and then this plug on the other end, right?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Well thanks - I typed in CPVC to Expansion pex every way imaginable and couldn't find it. But clearly, there it is. Maybe I was being too specific thinking it needed to be uponor to match the pipe?
My search included F1960 CPVC.

"EP" (engineered plastic) is perfectly good for a plug for PEX, but I don't know what a transfer valve is. If it is just a matter of putting a short pex stub on something to block an unused port, I can't imagine that a brass plug would be better for that than a plastic one.

Last edited:

GCC

Reaction score
Yes, it’s a diverter valve so it just transfers water from one fixture to another. It has an “in” port from the mixing valve and then ports for up to three water output fixtures. (Showers, handhelds, etc...) It’s connections/ports are just like a regular mixing valve. I ordered the Moen cold expansion valve and I need to plug one port as I’m only installing two devices. Was hoping for a brass plug but uponor/wisbro doesn’t have a brass one for 1/2” available that I can find. I can either go to a different manufacturer (like the cpvc to pex adapter fittings) or just use the uponor EP one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks