PEX-A pipe with expansion ring not reforming after expansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

JeremyWho

Reaction score
I'm installing a water softener into a house that has a pre-plumbed loop with Uponor PEX.

I bought some PEX-A pipe and expansion rings to do some practice runs before cutting into the loop.

I put the expansion sleeve on the pipe and expand using a manual expansion tool. After which, the pipe + ring never return to their original size, even after 30+ minutes. They are actually quite loose still.

The manual expansion tool came with 3 adapters (1/2", 3/4", 1") and I'm using the middle size.

All of the parts I'm using are Apollo 3/4".
PEX-A pipe.
PEX-A expansion ring.
Brass tee fitting.

I'm doing this indoors where its 68 F.

Is the pipe bad? Am I doing something wrong?

Reach4

Reaction score
Brass tee fitting.
That is probably the problem.

You need F1960 fittings, and I suspect you have the cheaper F1807 3/4 inch tees... either that or you are using 1/2 inch tees.

The expansion F1960s have the middle brass ring larger. That bigger ring is at least 0.866 od.

lf4710750-2.jpg

Also make sure your Apollo PEX says "PEX A" on the markings. Apollo also has non-A.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/types-of-pex-fittings

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
PEX A memory is pretty severe. I had a bag lot of Uponor PEX-A rings that did slip on me so contacted the rep. and got credit at the supply house.
Contact the rep. or your supplier.

Reach4

Reaction score
PEX A memory is pretty severe. I had a bag lot of Uponor PEX-A rings that did slip on me so contacted the rep. and got credit at the supply house.
Contact the rep. or your supplier.
Not the same thing, but I found that if my pipe was wet, the ring tended to slip away from the hand tool and slide down the PEX pipe. I learned to not try to attach a wet PEX. The crimp and clamp methods would have no problem with a wet pipe.

JeremyWho

Reaction score
That is probably the problem.

You need F1960 fittings, and I suspect you have the cheaper F1807 3/4 inch tees... either that or you are using 1/2 inch tees.

The expansion F1960s have the middle brass ring larger. That bigger ring is at least 0.866 od.

View attachment 79936

Also make sure your Apollo PEX says "PEX A" on the markings. Apollo also has non-A.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/types-of-pex-fittings

This was my issue, I did have the F1807 fittings. The size difference is shocking.

Once I got the F1960 fittings things worked great.

Thank-you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks