Pex 90 degree connection..tube moves after crimping.....

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question about making pex crimp connections. I recently bought a PEXcalibur crimping tool (3/8, 1/2, 3/4 sizes) with the intent of using pex for a new bathroom. I sarted making some test connections, and in doing so realized with the feedback from my go/no-go gauge that the crimps I was initially making were too tight (the 1/2" gauge slid right over top of the crimp ring).

I adjusted the tools setting and started to get great results as far as the go/no-go gauge is concerned.

What I noticed next though, was that for, say, a 90 degree elbow connection, when I had both sides of the elbow connected to a given length of Pex tubing, I could easily twist the elbow in both directions. The connections passed the go/no-go test, so I know the rings were crimped enough, and there is no way in hell I could pull the tubes off of the ends of the elbow....but damn it all....I could "spin" the tubing on each side of the elbow.

Is this right? :confused:

Or should the tubes, once crimped on the barbed ends of a fitting, be rock solid and unmovable?

Thanks for reading this, and I'd appreciate any feedback given.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
if you look at the inside of a pex tube it is smooth, and if you look on the crimp end of a fitting there are two ridges that stick up.....the crimp ring will compress the tube onto those two ridges...making grooves in the pex tubing...so it is possible to twist the fitting since the groove and ridge fit together perfectly if you think about it...heh I am not sure if that even makes sense.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is really nothing to stop it from turning... The pex is fairly slippery and the brass is smooth so it turns but won't leak... Trust me! If it did I would have been in trouble long ago!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks