Pew! My water smells strongly of rotten eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

BKH2323

Reaction score
Help! I moved into a new home in February and the water smells strongly of rotten eggs. None of my neighbors are having the same issue. I would like to get professional advice without someone trying to sell me something. Where should I go?! What should I do?!

Details:
- Strong rotten egg smell
- Comes from all faucets of my house
- Can't drink without gagging! Brushing my teeth is even hard.
- Smells if hot or cold
- Fill up a glass to drink and can smell/taste it
- The previous owner has a water filtration, water heater and water softener installed

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you have your own well. I suggest you sanitize your well and plumbing. That can be DIY. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up.

Tell us about your well.

Tell us about your raw water. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ Figure about 2 week from when you order until you get results. That includes two trips in the mail. It does not test for H2S. Your nose tells you you have that. Sanitizing will probably help considerably, but it probably will not do the whole job.

Tell us about your filter. The cure for H2S is usually a backwashing filter, which can treat other things such as iron too.

Tell us about your softener. A softener cannot take out H2S smell.

harryd

Reaction score
How long as it been vacant. The reason i ask is because my family has a vacation house that we use during the summer months, and we have the same problem. We get city water and its safe to drink but it smells of rotten eggs. When the house was first built we did not have this problem, but it has been a problem for about 6 years now. My theory is that the water siting in the pipes has a higher than normal amount of sulfur and as it sits over the fall and winter months sets into the pipes, making everything smell like sulfur.

We have started to use the house more in the winter months and it seems to help reduce the overall smell, but it still lingers. We put a filter on the kitchen faucet and filter any water via brita, refrigerator or faucet filter to make the water drinkable. I am interested to hear how to solve this problem, rather than just filtering stinky water from the tap.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you have city water. City sewer too?

leasol

Reaction score
Just a thought, but how long as it been since the water filter has been cleaned out/changed? I've noted some funkiness about my water when I'd simply needed to change filters. That's a bit of a long shot, but sometimes, the solution is just that simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks