Petersberg VA well production

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevink1955

Reaction score
My wife purchased a slip and slide for our grandson and our new homeowner daughter says " we cannot use it, we have a well"

They have been in the house 3 weeks and have never run out of water, I have them looking for an inspection report that may tell us what kind of well and pump but in the mean time I am interested in what the average well in the Petersberg Va area is like.

How deep do you usually drill, what is the best and worst production rate for the area

Is there any online (county/state) well records that I could view to see what they have ??

We are going there in a few weeks and I will scope it out then but any area info would be help full

Thanks for any info you can offer

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't know much about the production of wells in your area. But a slip and slide shouldn't use any more water than a 2-3 GPM sprinkler. As a matter of fact I think pointing a sprinkler at the slip and slide works better than attaching the slip and slid to a hose. So, just use a sprinkler and the slip and slide will not be attached to the water supply. Kids need a slip and slide! :)

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Thanks Cary

I do not think this is as big a deal as it's being made out to be, of course I have always lived in homes with city water so what do I know Lol

I come here almost daily as I have always loved all things mechanical and really feel bad for the posters that have a house full of family and no water. Everyone here is so helpful trying to get the water back on for them.

I will be down there next week visiting and will check out what kind of equipment they have, I hope I find a 4" or better drilled well with submersible pump, would be great to find a drilling record on site but I will not hold my breath. I did find well records for some wells in the area that looked like they are 180 feet with depth to water of less than 20 feet see link below

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/gwlevels/?site_no=370749077320501&agency_cd=USGS&

And I do agree Kids need a slip n slide

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I don't know much about the production of wells in your area. But a slip and slide shouldn't use any more water than a 2-3 GPM sprinkler. As a matter of fact I think pointing a sprinkler at the slip and slide works better than attaching the slip and slid to a hose. So, just use a sprinkler and the slip and slide will not be attached to the water supply. Kids need a slip and slide! :)

If you want the slip n slide to work REALLY well, go get a can of Pam. The same stuff you spray on a pan before you burn eggs. Spray the slip and slide lightly with that pan spray. Don't go crazy with it, you don't want the kids coming out like they lost a fight with a bottle of salad dressing. Just a very fine mist on the slip and slide before water ever hits it. Somehow it sticks to the plastic, and the water is like ball bearings on top of it. I do notice that you said Petersburg VA, which means its somewhere near I-95. I am not responsible if my suggestion causes the kids to go so fast and break through a fence and end up in the middle lane of 95.

I bought my daughter a slip n slide back in like 2005 or something and noticed the water inlet had a water conservation restrictor. Perhaps the concern of the youngins parents like the OP said was they always had city water, and didn't know that the well would be just fine, or MAYBE its their way of telling you that the well system is not working the way it should be.
My guess is new parents/homeowners. Over cautious.

Also I learned hard- doesnt matter what your neighbors well can do.
doesnt matter what paperwork from drilling says.
what does matter is where your well's static level sits most of the time,
how fast your well can recover from a draw
and if your inside equipment can call for water and hold it until it is used.
the house right next to yours could have a very different experience, depending on the aquifer and what was done when the well was drilled and what happened after that.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The only reason I can think of that a slip and slide would not be good for a well, is because it will cause the pump to cycle on and off for as long as the kids are playing with the water. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve would fix that problem. :)

Kevink1955

Reaction score
The CycleStop valve sounds like a good idea, I am going down there on Sunday for a week so I will have a chance to scope out what they have. Will report back what I find

Thanks guys for the help and ideas

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Never got back to this post because I could not get anything from the new homeowners except "we do not want to run the well dry"

While showing us their new house they proudly showed us the 18 inch square rain fall shower head they just DIY installed, I said nothing.

Later that evening both the kids were showering, 1 in a regular shower the other in the rainfall shower, I said nothing but did open the kitchen faucet and I would estimate 40 psi there.

I never saw a pressure tank, pressure switch or a pipe where water enters the house, never heard a pump running or saw any light dimming as a pump started up so I have no idea what type of system they have but they seem to have plenty of water!!

Only thing I saw was on the side yard lawn, I am assuming this is protecting a well casing and their is a submersible pump in the well

Tried to upload a pic but even after resizing it's to large, it's a concrete pipe about 2 feet in diameter with a concrete cover. It sticks about 1 1/2 feet out of the ground

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks