Persistent mildew smell in sink overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

LesleyB

Reaction score
We had an expensive Duravit sink installed in our new bathroom 2 years ago. Almost from the beginning, we have had a constant mildewy smell coming from the overflow. We regularly clean the stopper, remove/clean out the P-trap, and then pour baking soda/vinegar down the drain til it foams out of the overflow hole. It seems to get rid of the smell for the most part, but then within a month or two the smell is back.

Four of us do share that sink, so it gets pretty gunked up down in the stopper and the P-trap. But I just paid a plumber $110 to tell me that couldn't be causing the smell. He says at some point water must have gotten backed up into the overflow, and that there's no way to clean out the overflow. We have taken all the sink plumbing apart numerous times, and early on we discovered that the original plumber who installed the thing had used massive amounts of putty that basically clogged up the bottom of the overflow--could that have caused a permanent problem?

Plumber suggested I try spraying bleach in there. I try to avoid bleach and other toxic products, which is why I've been trying the baking soda/vinegar.

Does anyone have suggestions other than bleach/toxic crap? Have you ever heard of/experienced this problem? I'm just disgusted and fed up. It was an expensive sink, the only new sink I've ever had in my life, and yet none of the crappy sinks I've lived with have ever had this problem.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try the bleach suggestion. A small amount of bleach will probably do the trick. Keep window or door open.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the sink was not installed properly and it is a sewer gas odor. If there is an Air Admittance Valve (AAV) , maybe it is going bad and allowing odor to come out. A good picture showing the drain pipes under the sink would help to determine if it is installed correctly.

The bleach is a good idea and it is not very toxic to people, it is used in drinking water and swimming pools:
http://www.beyondtoxics.org/work/green-home-cleaning-campaign/bleach/

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are concerned with the chlorine, you can use hydrogen peroxide.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks