Performa valve not drawing chemical

Users who are viewing this thread

funzie

Reaction score
I have a Performa valve with a Pentair 740 controller. This is actually being uses as an iron filter. The problem I have is that it's not pulling any of the solution from the chemical tank. In fact when I put the valve in regeneration draw it actually pushes water out of the drain line instead of creating the vacuum and pulling solution into the tank.

I have taken the unit apart and cleaned it as best I can. Any solutions? I called my water tech the other day and he told me that the iron filter needs to be removed and cleaned. Any ideas on what he means by it? Cleaned in a special way?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would start with the Injector Screen Filter and the injector. If they have crud, look into further cleaning.

How long has this been in service? How many ppm of iron do you have?

funzie

Reaction score
I would start with the Injector Screen Filter and the injector. If they have crud, look into further cleaning.

How long has this been in service? How many ppm of iron do you have?

It hasn't got a screen filter. Never had it since I bought the house. Injector is cleaned. It's been a couple of years since it has been serviced. But I had the entire thing apart yesterday. I removed the valve from the tank, removed the cam, disassembled all the plungers, sprayed water through all the openings. Unless there is a cavity or port internally on the valve that is plugged and I cannot see or reach I don't know what else to do. My next step was to purchase a rebuild kit to see if that does anything. But from what I can tell all of the plungers.

Reach4

Reaction score
It hasn't got a screen filter. Never had it since I bought the house. Injector is cleaned. It's been a couple of years since it has been serviced. But I had the entire thing apart yesterday. I removed the valve from the tank, removed the cam, disassembled all the plungers, sprayed water through all the openings. Unless there is a cavity or port internally on the valve that is plugged and I cannot see or reach I don't know what else to do. My next step was to purchase a rebuild kit to see if that does anything. But from what I can tell all of the plungers.
You don't have this one? http://waterpurification.pentair.co...orma-series-valves-service-manual-3003714.pdf

What is the URL for your service manual?

funzie

Reaction score
Yes, that's the right valve. I should have been a bit more clear. The unit is missing the basket. I'm going to blame the previous tech the old owner had on losing it. I used those people once when I moved in since the sticker was on the tank. I called somebody else the next day because they were terrible.

Having said that, is it possible that something went through where the filter basket should be and plugged the hole?

Reach4

Reaction score
See "Injector Screen Filter" on figure 3, page 12.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is in the solution tank? When you top off, do you add soft water, or hard water?

Have you cleaned the precipitate out of that tank? There is probably an intake screen at the bottom of the brine draw tube. Maybe that is plugged. After wiping, you could blow into the tube and make bubbles. You will not want to suck on the tube because of the chemical.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcsZwbitL0k 2:10 shows how that would look.

funzie

Reaction score
What is in the solution tank? When you top off, do you add soft water, or hard water?
It's a potassium permanganate solution. I add soft water.

Have you cleaned the precipitate out of that tank? There is probably an intake screen at the bottom of the brine draw tube. Maybe that is plugged. After wiping, you could blow into the tube and make bubbles. You will not want to suck on the tube because of the chemical.
I cleaned it out also and put new pot perm in there. The way I know if pushes water out instead of pulling solution is because I took the drain line and disconnected it from the solutions tank and put it in a bucket of water. Instead of pulling water from the bucket in the draw cycle it put more water in. When the valve is in the regenerant refill cycle it also puts water into the bucker, but at a higher pressure. I did this to bypass the regenerant tank check valve and take it out of the equation.

Yep, that's exactly what is missing. Also there is an injector cap there instead of a screen cap.

Reach4

Reaction score
See the graphs on page 43+. Locate the one for your injector. Move things to the brine-draw phase, and measure the flow of water out. That may be informative.

See the "Valve will not draw brine" entries in the troubleshooting guides. Maybe you can find something there. See the "brining position" flow diagram in the lower left of page 40. Maybe you can figure out an anomaly that matches what you saw for the drain line flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks