Pentair 64k Grain System - Not Using Salt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
Let me in on the joke
Your photo is clearly showing the connection lines to and from the softener are connected together. While the softener will fill with water, the flow will bypass the softener so water to your home's fixtures will not be softened.

I thought that was the error you were referring to when you first posted the photo. Maybe you were referring to something else less obvious?

Last edited:

BBdude

Reaction score
Your photo is clearly showing the connection lines to and from the softener are connected together. While the softener will fill with water, the flow will bypass the softener so water to your home's fixtures will not be softened.

I thought that was the error you were referring to when you first posted the photo. Maybe you were referring to something else less obvious?
You're right. I thought dittohead was pointing out the ball valve, not the loop. Makes sense now.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not sure what the plumber did, but this morning our hot water is full of salt.
I suspect he corrected the unintended bypass loop and then incorrectly reduced the Brine Draw setting and initiated a manual regeneration.

Not certain for your Erie brand control valve, but the Brine Draw and Slow Rinse cycles are typically combined into a single 'Brine Draw' or 'Brine' setting. The 'Brine Draw' setting will be most commonly 60-minutes, causing all of the brine to be transferred from the brine tank to the resin tank within~15-minutes, so the remaining ~45-minutes will cause slow rinse flow to push the brine through the resin bed and out to drain while at the same time rinsing the resin with fresh water.

When the Slow Rinse time is insufficient, some brine may continue to remain within the resin and will exit the softener into the home's plumbing once the softener has completed the regeneration cycle and the softener supplies water to the home's fixtures.

Last edited:

BBdude

Reaction score
Plumber just left. Seems the system is working fine now. Once the regeneration completed, salt issue was remediated. Valve still not working right or counting gallons used, so that's next piece to remediate.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Once the regeneration completed, salt issue was remediated.
Almost all modern softener control valves will bypass the softener during regeneration so no brine can enter the home's plumbing if any water is drawn while regeneration is underway.

Perhaps no automatic bypass during regeneration is one of the problems that Ditttohead alluded to with that Erie valve and may have been one of the reasons why he advised to replace that control valve.

In reviewing this forum, most recommendations are to obtain either a Clack WS-1 or WS-1.25 control valve, or one of the various Fleck valve models that are currently offered.

BBdude

Reaction score
In reviewing this forum, most recommendations are to obtain either a Clack WS-1 or WS-1.25 control valve, or one of the various Fleck valve models that are currently offered.
This is helpful, thank you. Sounds like the plumber thought replacing the control valve was outside what he was supposed to do. Owner is on vacation so will call him next week and suggest the above and see what he says. Certainly a control valve should still be covered on a product / install that's less than a year old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks