Pegasus Shower Faucet Installation Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry213

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pegasus series 7000 faucet to use in my bath remodel.
My existing faucet was a 3-handle style.
The first problem I ran into was with the width of the new faucet. B/C it is a single-handle style, the pipes come into the sides of the new faucet instead of the bottom.
Normally no big deal, but the new inlets are spread 8 3/4" wide, so I have to jog my existing pipes out before they can hit 90 degree elbows to feed the faucet.

Here's the real problem / question -
At the advice of a Home Depot salesman, I purchased 2 cast-copper 90-degree elbows with female threads to get my pipes into the faucet.
The problem is that the elbows will only thread onto the faucet a little over 1 turn! This is true on both sides of the faucet, and with both elbows. I even tried a standard copper elbow (with female threads) at the store with the same results.
Is this normal? Shouldn't these thread on a little bit further than that?
The threads do not appear to be damaged, and I visually compared them to 1/2" copper male threads and they appear to be the same size.
What am I doing wrong?
Could this faucet have oddball threads?
Thanks!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some plumbing has interference (pipe, tapered) threads, some has machine screw (i.e., like a normal screw) threads. A tapered pipe thread needs pipe dope or tape to allow a seal. A machine screw thread relies on a washer being pressed between two sealing surfaces (like on your garden hose to the hose bib). Sounds like you have a machine screw thread on that faucet which would rely on a gasket/washer to make the seal - in other words, it is not a pipe thread at all. As you've discovered, it won't work. Often people will use one of those flexible, metal reinforced hoses from the shutoff to the faucet. Those have the right gaskets and nuts on them to fit properly and make a good seal.

Harry213

Reaction score
Wow, I think you've solved my problem!
Now that I investigate further I see where the box says, "...Use Brasscraft Brand Supply Lines..."
Also the instructions say, "...connect water supply tube to valve assemblies..."
That wasn't making any sense to me before now.
Interesting that the plumbing experts at the store did not pick up on this...

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
ALthough we would not usually recommend Pegasus for a shower, their customer service is often very helpful. The 800 number for Pegasus/Glacier Bay customer service at Home Depot headquarters in Atlanta is printed right on the box.

As discussed in other threads, PLEASE retain the installation sheets which came with that faucet. They probably identify the model number, and part numbers for replacement parts. Down the line .....some years, hopefully.......those part numbers will be vital in obtaining repair parts.

Harry213

Reaction score
The saga continues...
I did a little more research & this and discovered that - like you said above - there are NPT (pipe) threads and NPS (straight or universal) threads.

I went back to the store and the guys told me that (basically, I was crazy...) all shower faucets have "pipe" threads. It wasn't until they took another one out of the box and tried it that they said "Huh...what do you know?..." and realized that this Pegasus does in-fact have straight threads on the inlets. Faucet supply tubes would tighten all the way down, whereas NPT connections would only go on about 1-turn.

Now my concern after I got back home was that the shower & tub spout connections might also be straight, so I called the 1-888 number for Pegasus.

Now THAT was interesting.
I was told how Pegasus was merely a brand name, and the faucets are actually manufactured by 5 or 6 different companies so everything varies from faucet-to-faucet.
The woman looked up this specific brand and said "All connections have NPT threads."
I asked then why the box says to use Brasscraft Supply lines, since those by definition are NOT NPT?
She said , "Hold on..."
It turns out that all the connections in and out ARE straight, and the faucet ships with 2 nipples that are supposedly NPS-to-NPT converters for connection to the tub & shower. I do have those, but there is no mention of them in the instructions.
Wow, how crazy!
So I guess it'll work but I'm now back to my original problem... After you connect 2 flexible inlet hoses to the sides of this thing, you need about 14" of horizontal clearance (unless you drill through the studs to run your flexible lines...)
I think I'm taking this one back & getting a nice Moen or Kohler.....
Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Consider Delta...the pros here like them best. I'm not a pro, I've bought Grohe stuff and so far have been happy. Note, some of the big names make several layers of quality - they sell some of the big box stores the lower priced, lesser quality items but sell the better stuff through supply houses. Check the websites for model numbers and double-check. the differences seem to be metal/plastic and maybe quality of the finish. Can't say from personal experience, but from what I've read.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The flexible FAUCET supply connectors would not be recommended in a concealed application ( shower valve with no access ) and have a somewhat small ID so would affect flow to a tub spout.

I find that very interesting....the straight to tapered adapter! They are going out of their way to make it DIY friendly, but then don't include good instructions! And the knock on that set up is that each additional fitting is one more potential leak spot to worry about. It's not that any of the fittings we are talking about are inherently unreliable, but at some point the law of averages gangs up on you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

I am not sure about Pegasus, (junk), but most faucets with male threads have the inside of the connection sized for copper tubing to solder in without adapters. And NEVER use Brasscraft, or any other faucet supply lines, inside a wall. They say specifically, "Not for use in inaccsssible/concealed locations."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks