Pegasus Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

jonM

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a curious problem with a Pegasus shower only single handle unit that I installed for an outdoor shower (read "set in stone (well stucco)"). For the past two years the unit has worked perfectly. Last month the cold water just stopped. I have removed the cartridge and only hot flows- no cold. The flow stops are full open. I even tried blowing air into the cold line from the cold flow hole (with nearby hose bib full open) and nothing...

There is a large (1" or so) bolt head on the cold side of the unit that I haven't messed with yet.. it looks like it must be an adjustment access hole cover or ? .. maybe something there..

any suggestions or ideas??

Jon

jonM

Reaction score
Balance spool? Would that be what is hiding behind the large bolt head perhaps? I'll go take a look...
Well, this is what I found..

Valve 1.jpg

The cold flows fine with the cap removed.

Valve 2.jpg

I cleaned out some crud from the top and sides of the insert and the cap, but the insert wont budge. Is there a way to remove it? Is this the mysterious Balance Spool that you've mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
balance spool

If it DID NOT come out when you removed the cap, it is broken. You have to get a new balance spool, (it is one piece and attached to the "cap"). Then extract that piece from the valve before installing the new one.

jonM

Reaction score
Thank you. I must say you have been much more helpful than the guys at my local Home Depot... they just have no idea. And the old plumber there that I spoke with today said (while on duty and in uniform mind you) that I should "not have bought Pegasus because it is crap!"

Live and learn...

I'll fish out the broken spool and replace it with a new one if I can find it. If not, I'll open up the wall and install a Moen.

Jon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks