Pedestal sink, questionable resetting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tarals

Reaction score
We just purchased a home, and the seller had a few things to fix. One of those things was the dry rot in all 3 bathrooms. Two of the bathrooms have pedestal sinks, which had to be removed to install new flooring. We had a walk-through and signed off on the repairs being partially completed. When we moved in, we noticed the upstairs pedestal sink appeared to have been dropped during the process, and patched. The plumber was working on that bathroom during our walk-through, so we didn't catch this then since it was in pieces.
We talked to project manager and he told us he isn't responsible and the plumber didn't make note of any repairs or damage. Both refuse to do anything about, in fact the manager told us that it should look this way. Which makes me wonder why the downstairs sink doesn't look like this.

My question is are we out of our minds for trying to get this fixed? The project manager thinks we are. None of the toilets flush properly, and one door doesn't open either after they worked on them.

Attachments

• 20160128_130427.jpg
    20160128_130427.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 20160128_130432.jpg
    20160128_130432.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 20160128_130440.jpg
    20160128_130440.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 401

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see anything that is broken. It looks like the sink was hung too low on the wall compared to the height of the pedestal. The new floor may have been layed on top of the existing floor causing the problem. It looks like hell, Id be screaming too.

Reaction score
My question is are we out of our minds for trying to get this fixed? The project manager thinks we are. None of the toilets flush properly, and one door doesn't open either after they worked on them.
You may want to seek legal help at this point.

Nothing you read on the internet will magically restore your sinks overnight.

If you do plan to DIY, please keep us posted with your new discoveries and progress. "Fix to sell" jobs are always quick hacks done the cheapest way possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Fix to sell" jobs are always quick hacks done the cheapest way possible.

My worst calls. At this point, the seller doesn't want to spend money, and the agent can't be bothered either.
That is a poor job.
I notice that the drain in the wall may be too high for that pedestal, or why did they reverse the p-trap? I don't worry about that, but it kind of goes with measurements that are off to begin with perhaps.
A very small cabinet hides all of that. I'm not a fan of pedestals anyway.

Tarals

Reaction score
I don't see anything that is broken. It looks like the sink was hung too low on the wall compared to the height of the pedestal. The new floor may have been layed on top of the existing floor causing the problem. It looks like hell, Id be screaming too.
The seller told us the plumber dropped it, we ask her when she came back to get more of the stuff she left behind. If it isn't broken fine, but I expect a much better job by a licensed and bonded professional! I hope the new floor wasn't laid ontop of the old floor, it was suppose to all be removed! Thank you for your response.

Tarals

Reaction score
You may want to seek legal help at this point.

Nothing you read on the internet will magically restore your sinks overnight.

If you do plan to DIY, please keep us posted with your new discoveries and progress. "Fix to sell" jobs are always quick hacks done the cheapest way possible.
Oh I know it won't magically fix itself, I just wanted to make sure that I'm not crazy like the project manager thinks. He told us that it's suppose to look that way. We have our agent working to help us, and she'll be providing legal back-up through her agency if they don't remedy this whole situation.

Sluggo

Reaction score
That's a nice looking pedestal sink...or it would be if someone competent installed it. The bottom of the sink should be flush with the top of the pedestal with no gaps. The sink looks like it was hung too high, and there is also an angle to the gap which makes me think that -- if the pedestal is vertically plumb -- the back of the sink is not flush to the wall. Not only is it BS that that sink should look that way, that has to be the worst caulking job I've ever seen in my life. This can be fixed, but I wouldn't want those jokers to try as they have no idea what they are doing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that the sink used the same mounting points but the pedestal is higher for "some reason", (possibly due to a thicker floor), so the sink has to angle upward on the pedestal creating that huge gap. If it were installed properly, the sink would sit flat on the pedestal without any gap or need for caulking.

Tarals

Reaction score
That's a nice looking pedestal sink...or it would be if someone competent installed it. The bottom of the sink should be flush with the top of the pedestal with no gaps. The sink looks like it was hung too high, and there is also an angle to the gap which makes me think that -- if the pedestal is vertically plumb -- the back of the sink is not flush to the wall. Not only is it BS that that sink should look that way, that has to be the worst caulking job I've ever seen in my life. This can be fixed, but I wouldn't want those jokers to try as they have no idea what they are doing.
It appears that the sink used the same mounting points but the pedestal is higher for "some reason", (possibly due to a thicker floor), so the sink has to angle upward on the pedestal creating that huge gap. If it were installed properly, the sink would sit flat on the pedestal without any gap or need for caulking.

I will bring all those points up when they come to take a look at the 3 toilets that don't flush properly, and the one that overflowed last night at midnight because of something they did when reinstalling it.

I should've mentioned that this hack job cost the seller just over $18,000.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks