Pedestal sink - drain connection exposed, escutcheon not deep enough - any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaxkoftrades

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a pedestal sink in powder bath that the builder left the drain connection as pictured below. I bought a polished nickel trap (and supply lines) with a deeper escutcheon, but its still not deep enough. Then i was going to make a hole in a decorative plaque, attach to wall/paint, then have the escutcheon die into that, but would need to be 5/4 -1.5 inch thick and I think would look too clunky.

Any ideas what i could do? I can access the stack from the other side of the wall in garage, but not sure what i would even replumb since the stack is basically up against the inside wall. Any help appreciated!

jaxk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally on a situation where things need to be pretty and are exposed, that fact is taken into consideration during the piping phase. In your case where that consideration wasn't made until its too late you'll have to either make something or find something that actually has another purpose but can be used.

Maybe a shower valve trim plate? Probably not gonna look right.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any ideas what i could do?
1. It looks like you have a MIP trap adapter screwed into something. Is that something a metal coupling, or what? So anyway, make the trap adapter closer to the wall. How you might do that will depend on the construction.

2. How about macramé over what you have?

3. If you get the drain better, spiff up the supply lines to the faucet, using chromed tubing rather than braided flex lines.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been there , I think we all have , the hassles of Ped Lavs ! Image of Terrys show a high box flange I've stacked the flanges to get a little more coverage and I've used Iron pipe size high box flanges with the threads protruding through the flange and a chrome nut on the outside before too because the nut is so far from wall. opened up walls to push the fitting back in wall more another way

wall-hung-lav.jpg

Might need some tile work.

dog-with-glasses.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Install a 1.5" IPS/Iron Pipe Sized box escutcheon over the threads behind the slip joint nut. You will likely need to crush the tabs that "grip" the escutcheon to the tube. Then slide an 1.25 tubular escutcheon over the slip joint nut to contact the other escutcheon.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could take a white piece of wood with a hole in the center and stick it to the wall (screw or glue or both). It could be square or round. That might space it out enough to use the box escutcheon.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just paint it to match the wall - anyone crawling around down there deserves to find something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks