Peak demand/Sizing help

Users who are viewing this thread

fixitguy

Reaction score
Hi, I plan to buy an erosion chlorinator, special mixing tank, backwashed centaur carbon filter, and softner very soon for my well system. I have run the numbers for proper sizing using the instructions/calculator on Gary's website. Below are the results, but I'm not completely sure if I need to go with a 1.0cuft unit or a a bit larger due to my peak demand SFR. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Nitrate - 0
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 80-120
PH - 8.5
Hardness - 7grains (120ppm)
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Main problem is SRB (sulfur smell, black slimey film)

3 person household, 2 1/2 bath, 1 jacuzzi tub, all other water using appliances/fixtures standard

3 people * 60gals/day = 180 * 7 (hardness) = 1260 total grains/day
1260 * 8days = 10080 rounded up = 11,000 total grains needed

Using the bucket test at a bathtub, the SFR shows approx 9gpm. I realize that is not the peak demand flow rate, which is why I'm not exactly sure what size to go with. Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
How often does the jacuzzi tub get used? But any any rate it won't hurt to go one size up.

fixitguy

Reaction score
Jacuzzi tub is used approx 2-3 times a week, usually at night when no other water is being used. Would you recommend a 1.25 or 1.5cuft size? Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The erosion pellet chlorinator system has a 21 gpm, flow rate. A 1.0 cuft softener has a 9 gpm SFR, your tub is at 9-10 gpm alone although you don't run a tub with both hot and cold full open. The next size up would be a 1.5 cuft with a 12 gpm SFR. 2.0 has 13 gpm and probably is what your 2.5 bath house with a big tub and 3 people needs. You only get one chance to get this right, so buy the right size instead of trying to save a few bucks and getting it worng and having to live with it for 10-20 years.

fixitguy

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! I most definitely want to get this right the first time. 2.0cuft it is then. I've read that a 2.0 is pushing the limit of a Fleck 5600. Any truth to that statement? The 5600 was my first choice, otherwise I guess I'll be trying to decide between the 2510 and 7000.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks