Paul Water Systems pump questions

Users who are viewing this thread

rreidnauer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been trying to dig up info on an old pump I've acquired, and this forum looks like it might have the audience which might be able to provide some answers.

I got a Paul Water Systems piston pump (model 95FK) from a farm auction for $2. With intent to restore and use it to transfer water from a rainwater catchment cistern to a supply cistern, I have dismanted it and found it to be in very good shape mechanically. The cup leathers are gone however, as well as a large O-ring and gaskets, all of which I have sourced replacements for. I'll probably take it to a machine shop to go through a parts cleaner to remove 80 some years of grime, especially the crankcase which has turned to tar. There is no given RPM for the pump, but it is marked 180 GPH. And taking that along with the cylinder volume (1-1/4" bore, 2" stroke) I calculate that comes to 280 RPM. Unfortunately, the electric motor is no longer with it.

The main question I have is how much and what type oil to put in the crankcase. It's apparent that it's a splash type system, but there is no dipper on the connecting rod. I say it's apparent because there are catch cups and feed journals to supply oil to the crank bushings. It seems odd that there is no oil drain plug, but there are two plugs on top of the crankcase. (fill and ?) I seen a picture of one with a drip style oiler fitted to the one hole, (just drips into the crankcase cavity) but I don't think that is correct nor would it supply enough oil to all the parts. Anyhow, any help or information on Paul Pumps would be greatly appreciated, since there is very limited information about them.

Rod Reidnauer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks