Partial Sewer Line Install Using Sanitary Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

DrewAltemara

Reaction score
My sewer line runs about 75 feet to the street. My cleanout is 50 feet from the house; 25 feet from the street. The sewer line exits the house about 1 foot under ground,the cleanout is about 8 feet deep and at street level we are probably about 12 feet deep.

The line between the house and cleanout has roots growing in it that need to be cleaned out about twice a year. The cleanout person has suggested installing a new line from the house to the cleanout. However rather than digging down 8 feet to replace the old line to the cleanout he has suggested digging down only 4 feet and installing a sanitary tee at the cleanout and abandoning the old sewer line between the house and cleanout.

So dirty water would exit the house 1 foot under ground, travel 50 feet and connect into the cleanout at 4 feet below ground, drop another 4 feet and continue onto the street.

I am concerned about sewage backing up into the abandoned line and plugging up at the bottom of the cleanout.

I would appreciate any comments that anyone has regarding this type installation.

Thank you,

Regards,

Drew Altemara

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The proper thing would be to dig down to the main line and cut off the abandoned section and run a new pipe up for the cleanout and new sewer line.

DrewAltemara

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I can't disagree with your recommendation.

However, since I am probably going to do this myself there is a big difference in ditch witching down 4 feet vs. using a back hoe to dig down 8 feet.

The first is a do-it-yourself job the other is a contractor job.

Have you heard of an application that worked successfully in connecting the new sewer line as I described or is there anything that in your experience that would cause a problem?

Again thank you very much.

Drew Altemara

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks