Partial flush

Users who are viewing this thread

norbus

Reaction score
We have two old Gerbers on the main floor. On one of them, when we flush, it swirls for quite a while, some of the water goes down, but not the paper. You can flush again, with pretty much the same results. I've used a closet augur on the toilet itself and no change. The tank fills properly. We've used the plunger many times, but no cure. We had the main sewer line to street replaced in 2011.

I'm about to have both toilets replaced, but don't want to be at the mercy of the plumber on what's causing the problem with the one. The other toilet flushes fine. Our house was built in 1975. What could be the cause? Anything I can do without pulling the stool? (I'm thinking some kind of partial clog?)

Thanks for any ideas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually calcification in the jet and rim holes. A good dose of swimming pool hydrochloric acid, applied judiciously by a professional, is all that is needed to get them working properly.

norbus

Reaction score
So, replacing the toilet will solve this, great! For now, I have a qt bottle of "Sizzle" from the local supply house. If VERY CAREFUL, and wearing gloves, etc, would I pour it? Or are we talking about manually applying it to the holes? (which are badly clogged and black).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks