part of wax ring fell down toilet's main pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

relleuM

Reaction score
I'm replacing the floor in my bathroom and some of the old wax ring fell down into the main pipe, I should have plugged it up first with a small towel but that is for Captain Hindsight.

It wasn't a huge amount, probably 3 inches wide by 1 inch across. I tried sticking my arm down there to get it but it seems to be too far away. Can anyone tell me if this will cause issues later with the sewer pipe? Is it worth trying to get some kind of snake to try and fish it out? Pipe goes down roughly 2 feet and then elbows, it is where I can't see it so I don't know if a snake will even work since it might just push it down further.. any advice is appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It's not going to "dissolve" and it might take a long time for the water to move it to the main line. If you haven't run any water down the line, it should be right past where you can see it at the bottom.

relleuM

Reaction score
It's not going to "dissolve" and it might take a long time for the water to move it to the main line. If you haven't run any water down the line, it should be right past where you can see it at the bottom.

I plan on reaching my arm down there again tomorrow to see if I can grab it, but it is 2 feet and that is pretty much my arm's length. I haven't put the toilet back on so no water has flushed. Any ideas if I am unable to reach it?

My obvious fear is toilet paper will snag on it and create a bigger problem. If I can't get to it I guess I will flush the toilet numerous times to try and give it an extra push.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
If all else fails, you might take a 5-gallon bucket and dump about 30 gallons or more of extremely HOT water down there. Or, alternatively, get one of those small mirrors that extends similarly to the old car radio antenna. Use the mirror to get the wax in sight and then unfold a wire clothes hanger to either stab it and pull it out or get the hook end around it and lift it out. These ideas seem primitive, I know, but it might just work. I lean more toward removing it than melting it. I'd like to think the wax would just eventually works its way completely out, but the things you cannot see, especially when dealing with plumbing, are scary.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you see the wax go in, or was it just missing?

I have a hard time imagining you reaching in 2 ft.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All 'melting' would do is change the wax from a big "blob" to a small flatter one, but it would NOT flow very far before it congealed again, that would be further from the opening and harder to grab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks