Parallel Wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoldMaple

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I came across some wiring that I've never seen before. The wire from the panel goes into a junction box and is then connected to two other wires that exit the box. The two wires travel directly to a second junction box where these two wires are connected to two other wires that lead to devices on the circuit. See attached picture. My thought is that one of the two wires that exit the first junction box could be removed. It's been like this for a long time so I'm thinking it should be okay if it was left like that? Any comments?

GM

Attachments

• ParallelWire.png
    ParallelWire.png
    16 KB · Views: 70

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Pictures would help. Are you sure from the breaker to junction A is 14/2 and not 14/3? At junction B, positive the wires are connected and not passing through? It's just a juncture box with no light switches or outlets? Between A&B, do the cables run parallel or take a different path?

Possibly lights or switches were to be installed but plans changed. After the drywall was up, the person wasn't sure what was what.

GoldMaple

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Pictures would help. Are you sure from the breaker to junction A is 14/2 and not 14/3? At junction B, positive the wires are connected and not passing through? It's just a juncture box with no light switches or outlets? Between A&B, do the cables run parallel or take a different path?

Possibly lights or switches were to be installed but plans changed. After the drywall was up, the person wasn't sure what was what.
The wires are all 14\2. I opened the junction boxes to see and the wires go directly from one junction box to the other, there is nothing in between. So you may be correct in that the plans changed mid project and they just connected them all. Not sure? I did post a diagram of the wires. Just seems odd to me and I'm curious if this affects the current, etc?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I may lower the voltage drop on the run by functionally making the connection a heavier gauge wire.

How long is that run?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks