Paloma PTG 74 xn problems

Users who are viewing this thread

tubefitter61

Reaction score
My water heater has been working perfectly for ten years. but now it seems only half the burners operate when im looking thru the burner window. I set the remote on 120 and its makin water at about 100 deg.
I flushed it twice and replaced the remote with a spare one but no change in the burner flame or water temp. No matter where i set the remote water temp it doesnt seem to change
Any ideas?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You may have a bunch of crud blocking the flow of fuel/air to the burner portions that aren't lighting off. Most gas burners need to be cleaned up more often than once a decade to keep the flame levels even and burning blue.

tubefitter61

Reaction score
You may have a bunch of crud blocking the flow of fuel/air to the burner portions that aren't lighting off. Most gas burners need to be cleaned up more often than once a decade to keep the flame levels even and burning blue.
Thank you I will check it out. whats funny is that its not displaying any codes

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It won't spit a code unless it's really egregious, like the flame sensor not detecting that it's burning at all.

If you're looking at a bunch of yellow-feather flame on any portion of the burner and portions with no flame at all it needs some clean up. The flame should ramp up & down with the water flow to regulate temperature under normal conditions, but if you're sending half the fuel out the flue unburned it may be throttling back the water flow a bit to try to maintain output temperature. (I'm not sure if that's a feature of this model, but it's true of many.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks