P Trap too low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob in Texas

Reaction score
So we have a brand new home that we asked the builder to include plumbing in the utility room so we could use as an additional sink when needed. I've installed the cabinets and was about to install the plumbing but noticed the p trap would be too low. Reminds me of this thread:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/p-trap-install-stubs-out-too-low.68736/

Except I have 2 pipes that come from the wall and I don't know which one is for what.

So, first question, what are the two pipes coming from the wall?

Second, can I use the AAV option from the above thread in my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 652

Bob in Texas

Reaction score
It may be that the upper is for the p-trap and the lower for the cleanout.

Terry,

Thanks for the response, that would be great! I did shine a light in there and they are connected. Any reason not to just use it that way: top P trap and bottom cleanout?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bob in Texas

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I was just funning. I am not a plumber.

The concern would be if the plumber put something other than sanitary tee for the upper fitting. I expect there is a sanitary tee in there, but I also expect there is a sanitary tee in the bottom. So if there is a sanitary tee in the bottom and even if a trap adapter has been put there, you will call it a cleanout.

Is the bottom of that cabinet that you show far off of the floor? If not, I don't know what the plumber was thinking.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how they do plumbing in upstate NY, but where ever I done plumbing from 2 yrs in LA, 25 years in CA,
2 yrs in N. Id, 4 yrs in W. WA. State, 5 yrs in SLC, UT and now 9 yrs in Houston, TX
as a plumber that is the way plumbing is done if you stub out a drain it is connected to a vent not a AAV

Sallyboy104

Reaction score
Alright another internet big shot plumber. Again I've said it's possible that maybe the plumber did that not for sure cause no one can be for sure cause u can't see the plumber maybe u see it in your genius head but again it is possible.And I'm from the city I've worked in all the borough's and currently Long Island NY. By the way it's a forum to learn and discuss not to show off how many years you've worked in the West

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Long Island is known to have really lax code inspections in certain areas

Seeing gardners installing sprinkler systems with total disregard about back flow protection and homeowners hiring so called "plumbers" standing outside a big box store with signs saying plumbing

Also there was a good old boys club where licensed plumbers from a neighboring town would cross a country line he would have his truck confiscated and sold at auction

It was almost as bad a westchester as I held 4 licenses and finally Westchester adopted one code

I agree that no AAV should be used and I agree with Terry

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen new kitchens plumbed with the expectation that an AAV would be in an upper location. That would be three locations.
Starting from the bottom,
Cleanout
Stubout
AAV

You have two there. Anyway, it would be fairly easy to open the ends of those pipes, you have to anyway, and take a look.

Like Jerrymac mentions, older homes were never plumbed for AAV's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks