P-trap to wall height difference

Users who are viewing this thread

firepilot

Reaction score
Installing a sink in our new vanity. The rough plumbing waste/vent was roughed in at 19 1/2 inches per info I found here.

The new sink is in a vanity which is more furniture like. With the sink set and the p-trap attached to the tail pipe there is about a 3" difference in height, the p-trap being higher.

What would be the best way to address this issue?

The faucet set is a Delta set and the tail piece is threaded into the drain.

1. Do I need a longer tailpiece for which I would need to cut the middle shelf of the vanity?

Or

2. Can I use a couple of 90's for the drop keeping the slope on the horizontal run to 1/4 inch per foot?

Thank you for any help

Phil

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT raise the "P" trap above the opening in the wall. You need a longer tailpiece or an extension tube. Cut an 'oval' in the shelf for the "P" trap to drop through.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

firepilot

Reaction score
You CANNOT raise the "P" trap above the opening in the wall. You need a longer tailpiece or an extension tube. Cut an 'oval' in the shelf for the "P" trap to drop through.

Copy you loud and clear HJ!

That's the info I was looking for.

Thank you

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This is a really touch subject.

Plumbers really get their noses out of sorts over the "Rules" for PTrap placements.

As a bathroom designer I max out space and push PTraps inside walls and flat across the back of a cabinet many times. This is a huge beef with so many plumbers because it is suppose to be below the sink. Everyone knows that!

I have been doping this for years.

I have never had issues.

Never a problem.

Just grumpy plumbers.

The key rule as I understand it is that the pTrap needs to sit below the wall intake location. I can find no "Official rule" that says the Ptrap has to go right in the center of the vanity. But I sense a Flood of info coming my way!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I guess I, and the other plumbers, will have to start giving tile advice, since a tile person seems to want to advise on plumbing issues. NO ONE said the trap cannot go parallel to the wall, although it does create problems with a lift rod overflow and poor drainage due to trapped air in the riser, but what would you know about that. "I have been DOPING this for years" may be a valid statement.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This is a storage issue most times for me.

This PTrap issue (drawers don't fit, shelf does not fit, bottom of cabinet to high, etc) under sinks the most common bitch point on any job involving the bathroom's vanity.

Raising the PTrap is often pretty simple. Not hard to do. Requires basic tools. Most times you simply cut the drywall open and cut the waste line and move the Ptrap up by raising the T location where the waste line meets the drain line.

Notching a shelf and loosing more space because the pTrap is taking up the entire free space under the sink is silly when a little extra work is so easy.

I do this on almost every job. Everyone loves the added space. No one more than my wife and kids.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Raising the PTrap is often pretty simple. Not hard to do. Requires basic tools. Most times you simply cut the drywall open and cut the waste line and move the Ptrap up by raising the T location where the waste line meets the drain line.

In that case you must NEVER have encountered a situation where the line goes SIDEWAYS to connect into the toilet's vent line, which MANY, if not most, do in this area. Not really simple, can be hard to do, but NOT a simplistic solution. My wife likes to give "easy" answers to difficult problems also.

Reactions: SHR

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quote; Raising the PTrap is often pretty simple. Not hard to do. Requires basic tools. Most times you simply cut the drywall open and cut the waste line and move the Ptrap up by raising the T location where the waste line meets the drain line.

In that case you must NEVER have encountered a situation where the line goes SIDEWAYS to connect into the toilet's vent line, which MANY, if not most, do in this area. Not really simple, can be hard to do, but NOT a simplistic solution. My wife likes to give "easy" answers to difficult problems also.

Like hj, I find that many lav arms may have been plumbed from the side, making it harder to raise it up.
Many of the kitchen installs I did were that way too. In fact, with some builders, I would almost always arm over. Then if they told me the cabinet layout was now different from the blue prints, it was an eay fix before drywall to cut and move it. Not at all easy once it was covered up.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mr Whipple, please don't squeeze the Charmin. And stay the hell out of plumbing. You don't know Jacques-merde.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
bmdc_15.jpg

In this case the lav was placed to the right of the toilet, and the toilet shifted farther to the left.
The lav wet vents over the toilets.

bmdc_12.jpg

firepilot

Reaction score
Thanks All,

Got it all done. A quick slot with the Jig say and an extension Tailpiece and we are good to go. Best of all Mrs. Phil is happy with that part.

Now my issue in the sink and the Tub is the lack of Hot water.

I'll ask a new question

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks