P trap question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Video

Reaction score
I am currently installing a shower in my house. My drain is currently located above the center beam in my house. I have some clearance to possibly fit a 1 1/2 trap. My question is, can I use a 45 then a short piece (maybe 3-4"of pipe), to another 45, to clear the middle beam, then install a 2" p trap?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you mean to "jump over" the beam, then NO!!!

I don't think he intends to jump the beam, just miss it on the way down. If you can go 2" that would be better. An inspection will want the 2" all the way.
The vent for the trap needs to be within five feet of the trap and the trap arm grades down at a 2% slope.
You can't have a high trap that 45's down the the vent.

dwv_b2.jpg

Video

Reaction score
I didn't mean jump the beam. Now that I can avoid the beam I am definitely using 2". Can I go from 2" to 3"?

So I have to pitch the pipe that comes out of the trap at 2%, to the stack...

I also planned on putting a hole in the roof for another vent/stack...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks