P-trap pipe stuck in wall and broken

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocklvr

Reaction score
Hello. I have a chrome pipe coming out of the wall under my kitchen sink that I can't get out. We were able to pull it out about an inch with a strap wrench, but now it's cracked half way around and I'm afraid it's going to break off and we won't have a good way to grip it.
Is there a compression ring or something keeping it from sliding out? We've also tried taking the nut off with a pipe wrench and penetrating oil, but to no avail.
HELP!!

Attachments

• IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,055

Reach4

Reaction score
You need to loosen that nut at the wall, and replace that trap arm. Once that nut is off, the chrome will pull out easily. The chrome pipe only goes in something like an inch.

That is a slip joint. The nut is not going to be easy to get a good grip on to turn.

There is a washer under the nut that goes around the chrome trap arm. The nut squeezes the washer against the rest of the trap adapter, and that compresses against the trap arm. You will replace the washer, and probably then nut. You will put in a new trap. The new trap can be plastic or metal.
cc8a34b73e328bea9910bee6434831ba.jpeg

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocklvr

Reaction score
Thank you, Reach4. I was hoping for an easier magic answer, but at least we know for sure what we're dealing with now. [=

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks