P trap orientation

Users who are viewing this thread

geof

Reaction score
I installed a 2", ABS P trap in a drain line and now have doubts about its orientation. The trap has a sweeping entrance and a 90 degree entrance. Which one should be the outlet ? How much difference does it make if I got it wrong ?
Thank you.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Trap Installation

drainsysteminstall.jpg

The trap should be installed like the one pictured here, the trap arm the longer piece. The trap should also be installed directly under the fixture its' serving.
Where did you install the drain trap, post a picture?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Both OK

The incoming should be the long sweep and the 90 is the outlet as exampled from manufacturers literature. However it does not seem to make a difference as some have been installing the sweep on the outlet side.

geof

Reaction score
cursive u

Thanks for the picture. In the picture, the trap is a symmetric, u shape. The trap I have is like a cursive u where the u starts with a vertical bar and ends with a sweep. Both sockets of the trap are vertical but the tube leading to one socket is vertical and the tube leading to the other socket is at an angle (sweeping).

geof

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I was trying to figure out if it made a difference for siphoning from the trap or something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks